Series 'A' Comet Tyre Inflator

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On these photos found on the internet, it is (not easy) to distinguish the longest distance (18 1/2").

Capture d’écran (41).png
Capture d’écran (42).png

delboy

VOC Member
Hi all,
I have just scaled from a couple of Pre-war Vincent works photos using the centers of fork spindles as a measure.
[For those sticklers for originality, some of these high-quality photos can be bought from a company called Stilltime.]
The top "PIP" is obscured by the tax disc holder, however estimating it's position, the result comes out really close to 15".

Unless someone out there has hard documentary evidence written or a pre-war detailed photo, [elusive things] I don't think it can be said for 100% certain which make of pump was fitted.
It would only be guessed at.
As Brian has said, they had a tendency to come adrift and bounce down the road, never to be seen again.
Regards,
Delboy.

Last edited by a moderator:

squiggles

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Delboy; that's a good source of photos you mentioned. "Stilltime" . There is an HRD Black Lightning in one of the photos (Starbike Tpt Transport Bike Show Presentation Demonstration Seminar Earls Court Vincent Hrd) with the two Phils. I've never seen one with black mudguards before. Looks very smart. https://www.stilltimecollection.co.uk/search/vincent?qv=f2b7baba-0b50-477a-9ed5-45727399e397.
Wondering if that was that just a one off (1948?) Earls Court show special with the black mudguards ?

Michel

VOC Member
Hi Michel,
I have just measured my Series A Comet (manufactured 19th February 1937) and the "pips" to hold the pump are exactly 15" apart. The pump is 15 1/2" overall. There is no manufacturers name on it anywhere but I suspect it is not the original pump. I do not carry it on the bike as I had one jump out years ago on a rough road (the fork is of course unsprung which doesn't help) I intend to fit a stronger spring to hold it more securely in place.
Brian
Hello,
My question may be stupid because I've never done it.
How to disassemble the Thapex inflator to tighten or change the spring which is in the handle ?

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hello,
My question may be stupid because I've never done it.
How to disassemble the Thapex inflator to tighten or change the spring which is in the handle ?
Hving lost a pump in a similar situation I now fit a Jubilee clip on the body of the pump and when fitted on the bike I tighten it next to the handle so that the pump can't compress. It just takes a screwdriver to release the pump.