Series 'A' Comet Tyre Inflator

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
What was the manufacturer and model of the tyre inflator (15") fixed to the front fork ?
Thanks.

delboy

VOC Member
Michel,
I'd be surprised if anyone knows for 100% sure.
I think you will need a crystal ball or an ouji board to find out these details for certain after 80-odd years.
good luck,
Delboy.

delboy

VOC Member
I have just zoomed in on a works photo circa '35 [page 220 of Back to A] It shows VINCENT H.R.D on the main body of the pump. Possibly stamped or engraved?
No pump name visible though.
Cheers,
Delboy.

A Nut

VOC Member
It may be a bit like the horns. Some bikes had Lucas Altettes where as others had Desmos. Probably where they could get the best deal at the time.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Did anybody else see that interesting bit from Ted Davis the other day on here,
He said there was a tyre going down problem, I think it was one of the racers ?,
And after that they made the spring in the tyre valve stronger,
Which made the pump which goes on the standard bike , Not a lot of good ?.
Cheers Bill.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My guess would be its whatever pump manufacturer had them in stock that day / month / year. They would hardly stop a bike going out to a customer because xyz had no pumps in the right size but zyx did have. They are like handlebar levers, horns etc and were just bought in consumables.

vibrac

VOC Member
A good look at some of the motorcycle mags they did special bumper issues of the Olympia exhibitions held in the late autumn in London. They would cover everything including major accessory exhibitors I have some bound exhibition copies what years are you looking for?

Michel

VOC Member
Hello,
According to the informations gathered this week, the two suppliers were Bluemels and Thapex.
Length 18 1/2 inches for the Rapids and 15 inches for the Comet OR 18 1/2 for the oldest Serie A and 15 inches for the later.
What do you think?

A Nut

VOC Member
Hi Michel,
I have just measured my Series A Comet (manufactured 19th February 1937) and the "pips" to hold the pump are exactly 15" apart. The pump is 15 1/2" overall. There is no manufacturers name on it anywhere but I suspect it is not the original pump. I do not carry it on the bike as I had one jump out years ago on a rough road (the fork is of course unsprung which doesn't help) I intend to fit a stronger spring to hold it more securely in place.
Brian

A_HRD

VOC Member
I would be surprised if the "pips" on The Bramptons for the tyre inflator were ever originally anything other than 15 inches. Mr Brampton wouldn't have been very happy trying to produce differently spaced pips for different models. Much more likely that some previous owners have changed pip dimensions to suit the inflator that they have available.

But I have been known to be wrong before....

Peter