Series A Comet Rear Tyre Wear.

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have covered just over 2000 miles on a Series A Comet & noticed last week that the rear tyre has about 1.5mm tread left in the centre.

The tyre fitted is a Dunlop K70 Gold Seal fitted 2 years ago, I know that the Comet is a Sports Model :) but this does seem excessive wear to me.

The pressures I have been using are 24 PSI front & 28 PSI rear, the bike has been loaded up a few times and rides really well. (Incidentally the front tyre wear is negligible.).

Any other Comet Riders want to share their tyre wear mileages to see if this is normal or not?

Cheers Jon.

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Jon,
Good point, I was expecting 4000 miles plus like Avons gave, but a month or two ago, I remember thinking that the Gold Seal on the back of my bike seems to be wearing awfully fast... Hmmmmm?:confused:

Cheers, John

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
the easy way is go for a ride and let a friend follow behind on a good road they would see if its wheel or frame out of line

davidd

VOC Member
I would agree with David. When I checked the alignment on the racer I had to adjust the timing side adjuster in 1/8" in relationship to the drive side for the wheel to be in line with the front. The wheel looks skewed in the RFM, but it tracks pefectly, so do not rely on setting the adjusters equally or your eye.

If you have access to a durometer you can check the softness of the rubber. It is usually about 45 for race tires and 70 to 80 for street. I have one in the tool box to check the tires I purchase.

David

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Many thanks for the replies.

Although I could see that misalignment could cause this issue I dont believe this to be the problem on my bike.
I can take both arms off the handlebars and fold them & the bike runs in a perfect line just like an arrow.
The only other bike I could do this on was an old Velocette I used to own.
Unfortunately I dont have a Durometer to check the Tyre so will probably have to risk putting another K70 on the back,maybe higher pressure required?
Thanks again Jon.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I run tt100 on a twin at 29 front 32 back, the Rap did about 6k mostly 2 up before it got down to the limit. my tyre man told me to changr to Avon road rider next time, much cheaper, apparently!!

vincenttwin

VOC Member
I get 4000-5000 miles out of my rear's on my A ,I am running K70's , but I am trying to keep up with fast twins a lot so I do push it quite hard.

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

I have changed the rear to an old stock Michelin a friend had, this has more of a block tread, so will see how it goes. perhaps it was just a 'dodgy' rubber on the K70. Also lowered the pressure to 24 psi as my friend thinks I may have been running too high.

I have been out today in the rain and the block tread still seems to work ok:)

Thanks for all replies.