Series A Comet Rear Tyre Wear.

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I made a big mistake by fitting a Made in Japan Dunlop K70 3.50 x 19 on the rear wheel of my Shadow, it wore out in no time. When our Section won the use of the Club's A Comet it was fitted with a brand new Avon 3.50 x 19 SM but the clearance between it and the mudguard was minimal so is a 3.25 x 19 tyre the correct spec for Series A singles?

Alan J

VOC Member
Most rear tyres with a groove straight down the middle grip well, but have a short shelf life! I may be out of date -yes I am, but the old Avon "square" tyres last for ever. Got one on my 500 A.J.S and it's done 8000 and is still 4m.m deep!

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Len,

The 3.25 x 19 is listed in all the literature I have on Series A's and that was the size of the original tyre on my bike which had been parked up for 55 years.
There is very little clearance between the mudguard to fit anything bigger.
The block tread tyre I have fitted (Michelin Golden Arrow) seems to hold the road well and was made in England unlike my K70 which was coincidentally also made in Japan !

davidd

VOC Member
One of the guys racing in my class just bought some Heidenau race tires and I tested them with a durometer and they tested at 90 which is street compound. They should wear well on the street.

I am impressed that everyone is putting on such high mileage. I stopped buying tires that last more than 3k because they do not have enough grip and they last too long. A side car rig is great for getting rid of old hard tires, but I like fresh tires on the solo.

David