Series A Comet Front Wheel Spindle.

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the Series A Front wheel spindle should be drilled for split pins as ours has Castellated nuts fitted but the spindle from memory is not drilled.
It has never been a problem but I had the bike MOT''d last Friday (40 mile round trip in lashing rain :( )& the tester raised the Question.
As far as I'am aware it is the original spindle & nuts so what types do other people have fitted?
Cheers for now.

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My '38 Comet has a Mills Pin that traps the nut (a regular one) from turning. As far as I know, that's the way it came.
Cheers, John

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The forks on my A twin were not drilled, nor was a mills pins fitted tostop the rotation of the nut. A small drill and a mills pin later that was done. I think that is a nicer solution than a castellated nut, which I did consider.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Robert is correct. There is no Mills Pin, I just looked and I was confusing my A with my B. There is a good picture, on page 175 in Richardson's book, of a Rudge powered bike with the same Bramptons as on the Series A's. I've never had a problem with the Comet's axle coming loose in 40 years.
Cheers, John

Albervin

VOC Member
My spindle (plain not tommy bar) is fastened with a domed nut and a thick (1/8") serrated washer. Never had a problem with it either.

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. So as it looks like there is no 'standard' and as there has not been any problems in 3 years and 3K miles, I will leave as is for now.

Cheers Jon