Series A Comet for sale.

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
At least he's not parting it out this time! But still a Club Member (see posting on J tan) knows this machine well and it apparently rattles a lot and is very non-standard. I especially like the (one must assume) bit of flex exhaust pipe and the mount for the Brooklands Can.

john998

VOC Member
A Comet

Hello, hard to tell from the poor photos, but it look to me as though the bracket holding the Brooklands can is fixed to the bottom of the spring box.
If so it is to be hoped that there is some flexible pipe somewhere.
John.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Series A

It's been identified on jtan as already having passed its worth (it was standing at £20k) by several thousand pounds, being an old guy's Series A, much modified, and having series B Bramptons. "Leaks like a sieve, rattles like a Vincent, much duct tape and baling wire." Of course it might have been the subject of a comprehensive ground up restoration since, so don't take any of this as gospel.
But I recommend you buy it, because it is being sold by that really nice guy who helps old folk out of difficulty by taking off their hands Vincents that would otherwise be unsaleable (on Venus, perhaps?), and are going to be sold only to bona fide enthusiasts.
Let's hope it's hope it's bought by some banker, with his bonus.

Tom

Albervin

VOC Member
Series Alphabet soup.

It's been identified on jtan as already having passed its worth (it was standing at £20k) by several thousand pounds, being an old guy's Series A, much modified, and having series B Bramptons. "Leaks like a sieve, rattles like a Vincent, much duct tape and baling wire." Of course it might have been the subject of a comprehensive ground up restoration since, so don't take any of this as gospel.
But I recommend you buy it, because it is being sold by that really nice guy who helps old folk out of difficulty by taking off their hands Vincents that would otherwise be unsaleable (on Venus, perhaps?), and are going to be sold only to bona fide enthusiasts.
Let's hope it's hope it's bought by some banker, with his bonus.

Tom
You would need fairly deep pockets to get it back to a vaguely original condition. Headlamp plus ammeter plus switch etc. would set you back several hundred £££ if you can find them. The saddle tube has been cut off (hard to tell from photos) so major welding job there. Supposedly "B" Bramptons are fitted to it so another major job. Mudguards, tail light, muffler add another decent dent in the kid(s)' inheritance. Chances are the handlebar, levers & switches are incorrect. Then there is what is inside the motor, clutch & gearbox............I wonder if the vendor stripped any of the good bits off to sell at a later date?
It beats me how anyone would bid with such poor photos.:confused:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I reckon the final price will be close to £25K. Anyone else prepared to take a guess?

Final price it went for was £21,189. The winning bid went in with 3 seconds to spare.
No it wasn't me. There is already an A Comet in our family and one is more than enough.

Cheers,
Simon.