Series A Clutch

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
While having my head repaired after a valve spring broke, I have discovered the inner clutch basket has a crack. If this cannot be welded satisfactorily does anybody have a good replacement that I can purchase? Also, I am in the process of replacing the cork inserts using sheet cork, a very sharp blade & some sandpaper. If this does not work, has anyone tried the Surflex clutch plates or alternatives? What are the comments, if any? If all else fails I will have to buy a Conways (Honda) clutch which would be an admission of defeat in keeping the old girl true to the way she left the works on June 9th 1938.

nkt267

VOC Member
Hi Albervin.
If the clutch is the same as the C comet version then you may have trouble sourcing a clutch basket.
I believe the V O C S stock a 'reverse tang'(matchless) type basket that will certainly fit a C single, you will need new friction plates to match.
I have had the same problem with my Comet and every basket that I got was cracked at the bottom of the plate slots causing the basket to spread. Teaching Granny to suck eggs:D:- if you get the basket welded successfully,weld a band around the outside near the top to stop the basket spreading..John

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
Quote: "While having my head repaired after a valve spring broke,"

Alyn, I've always thought you should have your head looked at....

With the kindest regards,

Chris :D:D:D

Albervin

VOC Member
Quote: "While having my head repaired after a valve spring broke,"

Alyn, I've always thought you should have your head looked at....

With the kindest regards,

Chris :D:D:D
I have a sheet of names containing names of people most likely to take the bait to the cunning trap I left & ChrisH is very high on that list. So glad you did not disappoint me....:D

glen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
pushrod

with regard to your clutch, can you measure the length of your clutch push-rod, has i am just setting up the clutch on my series A

thanks

Albervin

VOC Member
with regard to your clutch, can you measure the length of your clutch push-rod, has i am just setting up the clutch on my series A

thanks
Glen, my push rod is 316 mm long with an indent on one end (for a ball bearing) & rounded at the other end.

Albervin

VOC Member
Hi Albervin.
If the clutch is the same as the C comet version then you may have trouble sourcing a clutch basket.
I believe the V O C S stock a 'reverse tang'(matchless) type basket that will certainly fit a C single, you will need new friction plates to match.
I have had the same problem with my Comet and every basket that I got was cracked at the bottom of the plate slots causing the basket to spread. Teaching Granny to suck eggs:D:- if you get the basket welded successfully,weld a band around the outside near the top to stop the basket spreading..John
Pre-war clutches are different to post war. Only 4 springs. Also it is the Inner basket that is cracked so I cannot see how I can put a band around it.:confused:

methamon

Non-VOC Member
I found that the original cork insert friction plates caused the most hidious drag when exposed to oil as they are. The clutch had more than adequate lift but the plates had no inclination to seperate and the grating on 1st gear engagement was truly shocking. With the springs and pressure plate removed the drag was still almost unbelievable. I fitted pattern plates with bonded material and whilst I am sure that the metal is of a lower quality (softer & with a tendency for the tangs to indent) the clutch has been transformed for the better. I had been at my wits end with it.

nkt267

VOC Member
I don't know how different the series A clutch is compared to the C type.
I maybe getting confused(not unusual you all say)
I would call the 'basket' the piece with the chainwheel riveted to it and the inner bit is usually refered to as the clutch centre.I have some 4 and 5 bolt clutch centres but I would need to know the depth to help you out..John
Here is a link to a chap in the Netherlands who stocks Burman parts if it helps
http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/contents/en-us/d59.html