Series A Brampton-Help Request

Bikerjoan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Recently got a front Guard from Renovation spares for my 37 Meteor.
Before I fit it could anyone confirm the following :
  1. Does the Balance beam (F55 ?) sit infront or behind the cast lug on the Bramptons.I assume the grease nipple hole faces to the front?
  2. Do the two 'L' brackets for the guard sit directly either side of this lug or is one 'outside' the beam.
  3. Did the front brake cable run from the handlebar lever to the Offside adjuster.....does it really matter?
Gratefull for any feedback

Albervin

VOC Member
Recently got a front Guard from Renovation spares for my 37 Meteor.
Before I fit it could anyone confirm the following :
  1. Does the Balance beam (F55 ?) sit infront or behind the cast lug on the Bramptons.I assume the grease nipple hole faces to the front?
  2. Do the two 'L' brackets for the guard sit directly either side of this lug or is one 'outside' the beam.
  3. Did the front brake cable run from the handlebar lever to the Offside adjuster.....does it really matter?
Gratefull for any feedback
Just been out to look at mine only to discover one of the "L" brackets has fractured! Anyway;1. My balance beam is in front of the lug (but on my "B" it is behind?). 2. My "L" brackets are either side of the lug. 3. The cable goes to the RHS adjuster. I use one of the heavy duty cables as the original steel drums need all the help they can get! I am not saying any of the above is correct but that is what is on mine. Getting the balance beam to clear the Brampton links when applying the brakes is most important. Now I had better make/buy a new "L" bracket.;)

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Marcus Bowden banana-man

Cables should run as smoothly as possible, bought front brake cables are designed to go to left side in one sweep,(as B's C's & D's are designed this way as the ex-centric STOP adjuster is on the right) there were no positive stops fitted to "A's") fit it to the right side and you have to route it back on itself putting two bends in. This makes the cable spongier as each bend opens the coils of the outer cable.
There are members designing a solid pipe with just a short outer to get over this very problem (big or small as it is)
Just because a photo was taken seventy years ago and put into a manual where it shows the cables route does not mean it is the best, if you want it to go to the right then make the outer shorter. This will entail a little DIY of cutting the outer and inner and a soldering job.
Having it looking as it should in the book or applying common sense is up to the individual in this case your good self
ps I have no connection with the Bowden cable company, but have plenty of experience of making my own cables

Bikerjoan

VOC Member
Replies.

Thanks for the feedback.
I will take onbaord your comments & see that the old girl is back on the road where she should be.Hopefully next year, interesting machines & a wealth of knowledge in the club.:)

Regards

Jon