VOC Member
Any dimensions available?
CometRearMount1a.jpg
CometRearMount1a.jpg

Last edited:

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Will a D solid rear axle simply replace a C solid rear axle?
Yes - I’ve never tried it but C tommy bars are identical on single & twin so the D twin spindle must fit a Comet. The bracket shown as a thoughtless idea was more or less what I had in mind. If you dummy up something of that sort, two drilled plates some spacers and studs, you can mount the cowl and see where the bottom lugs fall. You'll need to compress the rear suspension as load on the fully sprung seat will put more pressure on the springs than a Comet normally experiences. Once you have it levelled to your satisfaction you can see if a shouldered peg bolted to each pillion plate will carry the bottom lugs. I use my plug socket on the special nuts used here and on the rear wheel spindle.
My avatar shows the Knight with a cast rear wheel. This used one brake, standard Vincent drum on the left. There should be no problem having both brakes fitted.

Calle

VOC Member
Answer, from Calle who built a Victor lookalike

There are certainly several different solutions to your problem.

As shown by all posts on the forum, you must decide if you want to make a Victory copy or just mount the tail on a Comet. My answer is based on the option to build a Victory copy.

If you got an original rear fiberglass Rear end cowl assy (SL4), which is complete and not destroyed, leave it as it is and order a new fiberglass part and create a new inner frame. I think it's impossible to customize a Prince or Knight tail to a Comet without destroying the original parts.
In any case, you must remove the internal frame and modify to fit the Comet frame. This will more or less destroy the original parts.

If you choose to complete a Victor project, I can assist with photos and my experiences.

The pictures are from 2010 and the machine has now got a Norton AMC gearbox, Newby belt and another silencer.

http://vincenthrd.se/Harhant/Bornholm2010/Bornholm2010.html

craig

VOC Member
My measurements on C Comet and B Rapide are -
Comet/Rapide UFM seat pivot (top tube) width = 5" >relates to a dim
Comet/Rapide width of outside of the rear plates = 10½" > relates to b dim
Comet seat pivot to swing arm pivot = 14"
Rapide seat pivot to swing arm pivot = 15¾"

My "minds gears" are slowly turning, possibly at the wrong ratio, but moving none the less.
I do not want to modify a perfect D rear section, if possible.

So if the Vincent D closed used the swing arm pivot for the bottom attach, this means the top pivot (for a D closed rear section) must reside higher, on a twin Vincent than the C seat pivot???

So I am picturing , for the Comet, fabbing a bracket like I showed below, raising D section pivot 1" or so .
Bracket narrowed to use the lower two UFM tubes, as they are narrower 4", rather than seat tube which is 5".
At the bottom Comet side plates, below the swing arm pivot fabbing some 1/2 " studs reinforced with 1/4" plate.

What about that stupid idea?
CometUpperMount4c.jpg

Last edited: