Series ‘D’ Black Shadow Value

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes Marcus, better quality cases were used on Rapide's and porous and inferior ones were for black Shadow's because the imperfection's were coated and blacked over, I did not know that until earlier today when I read that, which you had written, thanks, interesting, I never stop learning about Vincent's, I used to cycle past the factory as a child and always wanted one, now fortunately I do have but I would like my White Shadow back even though I lost £7000 on it in the 1992 recession. ! Where are you WSV 392 ?

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I like your off topic comments, regarding BMW bikes, nice quality for sure but I have found them a bit heavy, that said at 5' 7" and under 11 stone I don't find a Vincent too heavy at 460 ilb's. To get back to the Vincent series D thread, look at the Leominster auction prices last week and others, we certainly are experiencing falling prices with a correct Rapide only realising £32032 incl premium, maybe a D Shadow if correct is now around £45,000 to £50,000 ? whereas the one in Wales being 'not correct' in my opinion its value cannot be more than the correct rapide, probably less, just my view.

I in 1989 bought a White Shadow for £18000 but in the 1992 recession we had to move home and struggled to sell it at £11000, hopefully if we get brexit done things will not get that bad again. For those who don't remember, House prices crashed, our Bungalow was started at £155,000 and was reduced by £1000 a week until it sold at £87000.

My white shadow attached, yes I would like it back, where is it please ? reg WSV 392 I think, age related number plate because it came back from mauritius but matching numbers

Thank you.
Kerry,
according to the VOC Database your White Shadow was last owned by someone in Stockton-on-Tees, UK in 2007 and was then in a Bonhams Auction in Nov 2007.
We have nobody owning it after that, so at the moment we don't know where it is.
According to the DVLA website it is currently Sorned, so still around in the UK
Thanks
Jon Lambley
VOC Machine Researcher

kerry

VOC Member
Kerry,
according to the VOC Database your White Shadow was last owned by someone in Stockton-on-Tees, UK in 2007 and was then in a Bonhams Auction in Nov 2007.
We have nobody owning it after that, so at the moment we don't know where it is.
According to the DVLA website it is currently Sorned, so still around in the UK
Thanks
Jon Lambley
VOC Machine Researcher
Thank you for the info, interesting to have these chats, I did not realise it was sorned so just put away as an investment I guess which is a shame, I will have to keep an eye out though because with falling prices it could come back on the market, I done many miles on it from 89-92 and loved it, really nice bike. my other favourite as I said is my Rocket Gold Star. Kerry.

kerry

VOC Member
Good point I will keep an eye on DVLA website, its a pity that it's not possible for say £5-£10 to have a letter forwarded by the DVLA to anybody, would be more revenue for them and not break data protection rules, maybe one day. in the meantime good weather here predicted for tomorrow and Saturday so I hope to get a short ride in.

kerry

VOC Member
My Friend wants to get into Vincent's and get rid of his collection of run of the mill 50's 60's bikes, rightly now preferring quality over quantity, he has been offered a not mint but tidy all matching D Shadow,with all it's log books and history, starts and runs well and sounds reasonable, quieter than many but does smoke a bit on tickover when hot and a bit when running at around 50 MPH. I find it hard to advise him on value in the current climate where prices seem to be falling, bearing in mind the smoke I would appreciate opinions please on value and the smoke.
Kerry.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My Friend wants to get into Vincent's and get rid of his collection of run of the mill 50's 60's bikes, rightly now preferring quality over quantity, he has been offered a not mint but tidy all matching D Shadow,with all it's log books and history, starts and runs well and sounds reasonable, quieter than many but does smoke a bit on tickover when hot and a bit when running at around 50 MPH. I find it hard to advise him on value in the current climate where prices seem to be falling, bearing in mind the smoke I would appreciate opinions please on value and the smoke.
Kerry.
Yes the market is difficult to judge at the moment but I would have thought a D Shadow would be around the £45k Mark at the moment. It sounds like the valves and guides may be worn on it if it's smoking like that but again that's an unknown.
Either way, if your friend I'd interested get him to send me photos of all the relevant numbers BEFORE he buys it, as you never can be sure, no matter how much history.
Regards
Jon

kerry

VOC Member
Hi Jonathan,appreciate your reply, It is a bike known to the club with up to date certificate, definitely matching numbers, 100%
Also apparently it has a Grosset electric start so that maybe adds a bit of value. Apparently the smoking started suddenly not slowly over time ?

Last edited:

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Forget the price and market value. If you like the machine and it's what you want buy it. A few thousand pounds one way or the other won't make any difference to your overall ownership. Figure you may have to do a top end job to make the bike 100% perfect. If you're worried about money and
what something like a car or bike is going to cost you're not going to get satisfied. It sounds like a very desirable machine with matching numbers so just buy it, fix it and ride it.