Series ‘D’ Black Shadow Value

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Generally, matching numbers and a good restoration add 100% to the value of a Black Shadow. The D Shadows, although they are a much better riding bike than the C Shadows, do not have the "looks" that buyers want and they sell for a bit less than C Shadows.

A Black Shadow with a non-original Vincent engine would very likely not get the 100% premium that "collector" bikes would receive. At 40,000 Pounds Sterling you are into the territory where a matching numbers Rapide is starting to look viable as a better collector option.

There is a big risk factor regarding the bike's inability to appreciate with other Vincents because there are so few comparables. If this were a private sale and a friend was asking me about the value, I would say start at 25,000 Pounds and go up very little and carefully. As a collector bike, it is not worth fighting for.

David
A very cogent observation. I have ridden open D bikes and they are a delight. The fully sprung rear end, softer forks etc. However, they just don't look that good. Once you add replacement engine etc. you devalue very quickly as an investor but as a rider bike you have a bargain that can only appreciate with time.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
A very cogent observation. I have ridden open D bikes and they are a delight. The fully sprung rear end, softer forks etc. However, they just don't look that good. Once you add replacement engine etc. you devalue very quickly as an investor but as a rider bike you have a bargain that can only appreciate with time.
I soon discovered that when you're riding them you're not looking at them and that makes up for any beauty discrepancies.:cool:

kerry

VOC Member
I have just bought an open D shadow and have had 7 Vincents over recent years, apart from the seat I think with both carbs on the same side etc to me it looks better balanced and superb, I have fitted the latest AVO units front and back , the ride in my opinion is far ahead of the series C, and (with the lower avo) I can sit with both feet flat on the floor and I am only 5'7" ! ,also with coil ignition it starts easier. I had considered the one in Wales which probably is a good one to ride but not as an investment I feel. The centre stand is brilliant of course although so are the Dave Hills ones on a C. Just need some nice weather to ride my D a bit more. Bearing in mind dropping prices, and remember there was 168 bikes in the H&H 2 Nov sale with 100 unsold I feel its worth around £30,000

vibrac

VOC Member
A sensible assessment Kerry. I know I hated the open D I restored but I guess I was too quick to sell it to finance the Egli Racer a little more patience with suspension might have worked wonders
Incidentallyand pedantically I guess the word 'open' is superfluous in relation to the series D Shadow because if its enclosed then it aint a Shadow its a Black Prince, or would others disagree?

kerry

VOC Member
Hello vibrac, interesting reply and I think you must be correct, a D Shadow maybe should not be called 'open' but .. why from wikipedia & others does it state "Four major versions were built, labelled Series A through D (The Series D designation was never officially used by the factory)". if D was not used by the factory why did they stamp frame numbers with a D ? that is something I don't understand so explain please somebody ? I still think if you want to keep up with modern traffic only a Vincent and few others can do so, though my other favourite bike is a RGS which can keep up is also surprisingly nice to ride, that said I am hoping to buy a Comet once prices drop to about £15000 and that does not look far off in auctions at least.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
"but .. why from wikipedia & others does it state "Four major versions were built, labelled Series A through D (The Series D designation was never officially used by the factory)". if D was not used by the factory why did they stamp frame numbers with a D ? that is something I don't understand so explain please somebody ?"

I'm pretty sure that any knowledgable person can alter Wikipedia at will. I'd never trust it for total accuracy.