Series ‘D’ Black Shadow Value

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is not enough info to peg it. The range would be somewhere between 55,000 and 69,000 Pounds Sterling over here if it is a good one. It depends on matching numbers and condition.

I think the D Shadow is one of the best riding machines.

David

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Is it this bike:

If so then "Replacement Black Shadow engine fitted" should really read "replica Vincent engine made from new parts including new crankcases".

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Generally, matching numbers and a good restoration add 100% to the value of a Black Shadow. The D Shadows, although they are a much better riding bike than the C Shadows, do not have the "looks" that buyers want and they sell for a bit less than C Shadows.

A Black Shadow with a non-original Vincent engine would very likely not get the 100% premium that "collector" bikes would receive. At 40,000 Pounds Sterling you are into the territory where a matching numbers Rapide is starting to look viable as a better collector option.

There is a big risk factor regarding the bike's inability to appreciate with other Vincents because there are so few comparables. If this were a private sale and a friend was asking me about the value, I would say start at 25,000 Pounds and go up very little and carefully. As a collector bike, it is not worth fighting for.

David