• New Member Special Offer

Join the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club today, and get a special offer of 14 months for the price of 12 (your membership will expire on 31st December 2020)!

There is a mass of information, including many thousands of technical articles which have been written since the Club started in 1948, which are only available to Members of the Club. Once you join, your membership of this forum will be upgraded and you'll get access to them, as well as many other features.

To join, simply click HERE and follow the simple instructions.

Ron and Linda Thomas - Membership Secretaries.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Series ‘D’ Black Shadow Value

davidd

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
There is not enough info to peg it. The range would be somewhere between 55,000 and 69,000 Pounds Sterling over here if it is a good one. It depends on matching numbers and condition.

I think the D Shadow is one of the best riding machines.

David

ziggybomb

Website User
VOC Member
Turns out it's restored 1000 miles electric start Alton ECT.non matching .he wants 42 k.

Ian Savage

VOC Member
Is it the north Wales area seller VJ? If so it a 100% new parts engine he built up himself.

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Is it this bike:

If so then "Replacement Black Shadow engine fitted" should really read "replica Vincent engine made from new parts including new crankcases".

davidd

VOC Member
Generally, matching numbers and a good restoration add 100% to the value of a Black Shadow. The D Shadows, although they are a much better riding bike than the C Shadows, do not have the "looks" that buyers want and they sell for a bit less than C Shadows.

A Black Shadow with a non-original Vincent engine would very likely not get the 100% premium that "collector" bikes would receive. At 40,000 Pounds Sterling you are into the territory where a matching numbers Rapide is starting to look viable as a better collector option.

There is a big risk factor regarding the bike's inability to appreciate with other Vincents because there are so few comparables. If this were a private sale and a friend was asking me about the value, I would say start at 25,000 Pounds and go up very little and carefully. As a collector bike, it is not worth fighting for.

David

Albervin

VOC Member
Generally, matching numbers and a good restoration add 100% to the value of a Black Shadow. The D Shadows, although they are a much better riding bike than the C Shadows, do not have the "looks" that buyers want and they sell for a bit less than C Shadows.

A Black Shadow with a non-original Vincent engine would very likely not get the 100% premium that "collector" bikes would receive. At 40,000 Pounds Sterling you are into the territory where a matching numbers Rapide is starting to look viable as a better collector option.

There is a big risk factor regarding the bike's inability to appreciate with other Vincents because there are so few comparables. If this were a private sale and a friend was asking me about the value, I would say start at 25,000 Pounds and go up very little and carefully. As a collector bike, it is not worth fighting for.

David
A very cogent observation. I have ridden open D bikes and they are a delight. The fully sprung rear end, softer forks etc. However, they just don't look that good. Once you add replacement engine etc. you devalue very quickly as an investor but as a rider bike you have a bargain that can only appreciate with time.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
A very cogent observation. I have ridden open D bikes and they are a delight. The fully sprung rear end, softer forks etc. However, they just don't look that good. Once you add replacement engine etc. you devalue very quickly as an investor but as a rider bike you have a bargain that can only appreciate with time.
I soon discovered that when you're riding them you're not looking at them and that makes up for any beauty discrepancies.:cool:

kerry

Website User
VOC Member
I have just bought an open D shadow and have had 7 Vincents over recent years, apart from the seat I think with both carbs on the same side etc to me it looks better balanced and superb, I have fitted the latest AVO units front and back , the ride in my opinion is far ahead of the series C, and (with the lower avo) I can sit with both feet flat on the floor and I am only 5'7" ! ,also with coil ignition it starts easier. I had considered the one in Wales which probably is a good one to ride but not as an investment I feel. The centre stand is brilliant of course although so are the Dave Hills ones on a C. Just need some nice weather to ride my D a bit more. Bearing in mind dropping prices, and remember there was 168 bikes in the H&H 2 Nov sale with 100 unsold I feel its worth around £30,000

vibrac

VOC Member
A sensible assessment Kerry. I know I hated the open D I restored but I guess I was too quick to sell it to finance the Egli Racer a little more patience with suspension might have worked wonders
Incidentallyand pedantically I guess the word 'open' is superfluous in relation to the series D Shadow because if its enclosed then it aint a Shadow its a Black Prince, or would others disagree?

kerry

Website User
VOC Member
Hello vibrac, interesting reply and I think you must be correct, a D Shadow maybe should not be called 'open' but .. why from wikipedia & others does it state "Four major versions were built, labelled Series A through D (The Series D designation was never officially used by the factory)". if D was not used by the factory why did they stamp frame numbers with a D ? that is something I don't understand so explain please somebody ? I still think if you want to keep up with modern traffic only a Vincent and few others can do so, though my other favourite bike is a RGS which can keep up is also surprisingly nice to ride, that said I am hoping to buy a Comet once prices drop to about £15000 and that does not look far off in auctions at least.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
"but .. why from wikipedia & others does it state "Four major versions were built, labelled Series A through D (The Series D designation was never officially used by the factory)". if D was not used by the factory why did they stamp frame numbers with a D ? that is something I don't understand so explain please somebody ?"

I'm pretty sure that any knowledgable person can alter Wikipedia at will. I'd never trust it for total accuracy.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?