Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Danno
The black wires from the Alton generate AC not DC
The idea of the charging light is that 1 side goes to a switched live (ignition switch) and the other goes to the DC output of the alternator, or in your case the regulator. Unfortunately in your case this will be a permanent live, unless you put in a disconnect switch between the battery and the regulator.

HTH
Neil

danno

Non-VOC Member
Danno
The black wires from the Alton generate AC not DC
The idea of the charging light is that 1 side goes to a switched live (ignition switch) and the other goes to the DC output of the alternator, or in your case the regulator. Unfortunately in your case this will be a permanent live, unless you put in a disconnect switch between the battery and the regulator.

HTH
Neil

Thanks very much for the explanation
Yes, I connected the other bulb lead to the black (live) of the regulator and the light
is on all the time. Switch the ignition on and bulb goes off.
Something needs to be swapped around as it was fine with the old JG one.

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
I’ve checked my notes on the JG wiring and the ignition/charge bulb plugs into the connector circled in the pic, which is one of the dynamo leads.
The black goes to the ammeter.
For a similar setup with the Podtronics, the bulb would need to join with one of the Alton’s black leads.

Attachments

• F8790090-C4C8-44FF-8406-4F918FA3A3D0.jpeg
    F8790090-C4C8-44FF-8406-4F918FA3A3D0.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 18

timetraveller

VOC Member
Danno, is it a bulb or an LED you are using? If it is a bulb then no problem apart from finding the correct place to put it in the wiring. If it is an LED then it will only light up if the DC current (electricity) is going through it the right way.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Danno, is it a bulb or an LED you are using? If it is a bulb then no problem apart from finding the correct place to put it in the wiring. If it is an LED then it will only light up if the DC current (electricity) is going through it the right way.

Just a normal bulb. One side connected to ignition switch and the other to the dynamo lead.
I’ll try reconnecting the old dynamo and JG to check.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Connecting the original dynamo and regulator back up and light works as it should.
Maybe something to do with the different types of regulator.

danno

Non-VOC Member
All up and running and getting a good charge from the Alton.
Will replace the battery though as it’s not maintaining 12v.
Also have left the charge light disconnected so just using the ammeter.

Hope it will be ok and many thanks for the very helpful assistance. It’s taken a bit of time for what is actually a fairly straightforward job but I knew nothing about the ignition and charging system on the bike.

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
I bought some of these, For the next time I do electrics, They do, 2, 4, and 6 pin types, Only about £6 for a male / female pair, I might have to use a sealer, To keep the weather out. Cheers Bill.

Might get something like this. I’m using the small plastic barrel connectors which are ok.
Whatever I use I’d like to cover them with loom sleeving but can’t see how this is done when connecting components that have cable tails like the Alton and Podtronics regulator.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't know what you mean by tails ?.
I have never had an Alton or Pod' reg'.
I am not good with colours or Electrics, So once a Bike is wired up, If I can pull off a Multi pin, I don't have to work out where everything goes again.
I have a Mcdouglator on one of my Bikes, And dread taking the wires off.
You must have a break in the wiring somewhere, So you can't heat seal everything ?. Cheers Bill.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Don't know what you mean by tails ?.

Sorry...didn’t know how else to describe them.
Fixed wires protruding from the unit.

I need to join the Alton dynamo and the regulator together (pics).
The wires are bare so you can fit connectors of you’re choice. What I’d like is a discreet connection that looks tidy and ideally not visible.
How do you add sleeving though without a break in the middle?
I may just solder a hard connection and insulate to avoid bulky connections.

Attachments

• 9F266890-133A-4F38-8D06-A50E5FF377CE.jpeg
    9F266890-133A-4F38-8D06-A50E5FF377CE.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
  • E96A4ED7-591E-4B08-A5EB-F70CD5914F50.jpeg
    E96A4ED7-591E-4B08-A5EB-F70CD5914F50.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 9