Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks. I’ll check for a gap between teeth and link rollers. I see the ET221 cradle in the spares list and makes sense now.
Have just made up an alloy plate to mount the regulator on but just would like to check the orientation of ET176/1 clamp.
I’m assuming it goes on as per the spares list. The other way round, the clamp butts up against the dynamo housing but does fit.
Didn’t make a note when taking it off.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the confirmation.
It’s taking shape. Making up regulator mount plate took a bit of time and filing.
With sprocket tightened up there’s a little movement side to side so hope this will be ok.
Hard to check for a gap vertically but have rotated the Alton so it’s at the highest.

Attachments

• 5B630798-C128-4BB8-85E1-D1F40DA96B4F.jpeg
    5B630798-C128-4BB8-85E1-D1F40DA96B4F.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Hard to check for a gap vertically but have rotated the Alton so it’s at the highest.

Just eyeball the gap where the arrow is pointing, no fancy measurements are needed. You do not want to have too little tooth engagement.

Gap.png

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Danno,
Just a thought as I`ve only recently fitted my Walkernator from Timetraveller, I wonder whether you should lockwire the Allen bolts holding your sprocket on.
Maybe someone with better knowledge than me can say yes or no.
Cheers
Dave

greg brillus

VOC Member
The chainwheel assembly wobbles around quite a bit, this is why the sprocket needs room to move or else it will be noisy, and very noticeable at low engine speed. The outer allen cap screws are fine, but the center one is too short, needs to be about 5 or 6 mm longer.........I use a medium strength loctite on all these, but only do this once you have run the engine and all appears to be fine, with no bad noises emitting from the alton, and the system charging as it should. I would say at least 50% of the time I reinstall the original steel drive sprocket, these are skinnier in the teeth than the plastic sprocket...........Good luck with it all.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Danno,
Just a thought as I`ve only recently fitted my Walkernator from Timetraveller, I wonder whether you should lockwire the Allen bolts holding your sprocket on.
Maybe someone with better knowledge than me can say yes or no.
Cheers
Dave

Ok. No mention of this in the Alton instructions. Just thought that the new design did away with the locking requirement.
I sold my old pillar drill which would have useful here. So all three bolts would need
a small hole drilled?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just to make clear why Dave61 asks the question. With the Walkernators I supply a 3/8" BSF high tensile steel central bolt and a 1/4" BSW short socket headed screw to fix the sprocket on. Both are pre drilled for locking wire to be used and enough locking wire for at least two attempts. My reasoning behind this is that the system is capable of supplying up to nearly half a kilowatt and that, in very round figures, is half a horse power. It will never do this unless the.bike is started with a flat battery and then only for seconds until the battery volts have risen. Unlike some permanent magnet systems only enough power is produced to balance whatever is required by the load being imposed, light, ignition and so on. Therefore most of the time the system takes less power from the engine than some other systems. However, half a horse power is a lot more than the two Phils would ever have imagined and that is not a good place in the drive train to have a failure. You can't use the same 3/8" central bolt in other systems but you can make use of the offset hole in the pinion and wire lock the parts together.