Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bill is spot on..........I'm not saying that Vic is incorrect on the ESA as I can see his version is far superior to the original cam design, However, the issue with the Alton's and their supplied plastic gear is mostly a meshing problem.......And also the plastic gear has teeth that are wider than the stock steel item, so there is less side movement, that coupled to sloppy chainwheel bushes, and if the alton is not centered correctly will end up in rapid ware of the plastic item..........I've seen it a few times now.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the reply. I think it’s best to fit the nylon sprocket after reading about wear issues. Rather that than the chain.
Can’t be a widespread problem as Alton still use them.
The plastic drive gear is a very tight fit when it 'meshes' into the drive chain. It may be a prudent thing to reduce the thickness a tad BEFORE you install it.

Kiwi_Tim

VOC Member
1564540341166.png

Any thoughts on replacing the steel gear on a lucas dynamo with one of these to reduce risk of damage to the primary chain?

Last edited:

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I don't know about putting one on a Lucas Dynamo but I got worried about my Alton with the plastic sprocket after reading dire warnings on this thread. There was indeed damage clearly demonstrated here but I just took a look at mine. It has been there since the Alton installation, some 10,000 miles ago. I don't see any discernible wear so far. I did run the bike for maybe 1500 miles with a clapped-out primary chain but then installed a new one. That new one has held its adjustment quite well so far and as I just noticed, the dynamo sprocket is holding up well too. So even the old chain didn't destroy the sprocket. I could have been lucky there.

When I initially installed the Alton, I did experience the Richardson-documented whine which is due to a too-heavy engagement of the sprocket with the chain. I installed one of those pre-made shims under the dynamo bracket and the noise stopped. Maybe it would have done some damage if I hadn't done that.
Gary

danno

Non-VOC Member
I don't know about putting one on a Lucas Dynamo but I got worried about my Alton with the plastic sprocket after reading dire warnings on this thread. There was indeed damage clearly demonstrated here but I just took a look at mine. It has been there since the Alton installation, some 10,000 miles ago. I don't see any discernible wear so far. I did run the bike for maybe 1500 miles with a clapped-out primary chain but then installed a new one. That new one has held its adjustment quite well so far and as I just noticed, the dynamo sprocket is holding up well too. So even the old chain didn't destroy the sprocket. I could have been lucky there.

When I initially installed the Alton, I did experience the Richardson-documented whine which is due to a too-heavy engagement of the sprocket with the chain. I installed one of those pre-made shims under the dynamo bracket and the noise stopped. Maybe it would have done some damage if I hadn't done that.
Gary

Thanks for the useful info.
Have got the Miller dynamo off.
As mentioned, the new nylon sprocket is a bit thicker than the original (pic).
Maybe could still use it as it looks ok.

Attachments

• 0B133C67-6DEC-4D2D-BC83-DFF796FD5265.jpeg
    0B133C67-6DEC-4D2D-BC83-DFF796FD5265.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 2A3328BE-1199-45C3-ADE9-71188FB2B987.jpeg
    2A3328BE-1199-45C3-ADE9-71188FB2B987.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 23

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
MartynG mentioned the fact that the plastic sprocket is thicker. I think you just have to be careful to mount the dynamo so that the sprocket is centered in the middle row of chain and has clearance on both sides.

Gary

Kiwi_Tim

VOC Member
My dynamo was disconnected and my primary shagged. Am planning to replace the bearings in the E3L but thinking a sacrificial gear rather than a steel one is probably a good move (along with careful alignment/shimming if need be)

danno

Non-VOC Member
The regulated supplied with your Alton alternator and fits neatly on top.

I notice there’s two bolt holes on the original dynamo clamp but the Alton regulator ones are too far apart.

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I notice there’s two bolt holes on the original dynamo clamp but the Alton regulator ones are too far apart.
Those holes are for the original miller regulator. It is possible to mount he Alton regulator INSIDE a gutted miller regulator case but you need to be sure of sufficient airflow over the ALTON regulator by drilling holes in the BASE of the miller case

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I mounted my Podtronics reg on a 1/8" alloy plate with countersunk screws into the dynamo clamp. Maybe the same approach would work for your reg.