Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Walkernators are built to order so not on the shelf and due to a recent change in the type of alternator used it has taken quite a while to modify the kit to take the new alternators. You would have to wait weeks or months compared to an off the shelf Alton However they are much cheaper and produce more than double the power.

vibrac

VOC Member
Obviously never had a starter with coil ignition that backfired when turning the key on..

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Walkernators are built to order so not on the shelf and due to a recent change in the type of alternator used it has taken quite a while to modify the kit to take the new alternators. You would have to wait weeks or months compared to an off the shelf Alton However they are much cheaper and produce more than double the power.
and are a true fit and forget kit. I like many others went through many years struggling with dynamos. until Norman came up with his kit, and cured all my generating troubles.
stumpy lord

danno

Non-VOC Member
and are a true fit and forget kit. I like many others went through many years struggling with dynamos. until Norman came up with his kit, and cured all my generating troubles.
stumpy lord

I hope I won't be struggling with an Alton at the price. Difficult to know how many watts is sufficient but I suppose it’s the ignition that’s the main thing as lights can be changed to LED.
At 90w it’ll hopefully be a big improvement over my 6v Miller dynamo and JG converter setup.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I think that the Alton is a lot more than 90 watts. The alternators I use now are able to produce 40 amps, 480 watts at 12 volts, 572 watts at 14.3 volts but you should never need that even with heated clothing etc.

oexing

VOC Member
What is the ratio of the poly-V belt drive on the walkernator, I guess less than 2:1 ? So I don´t think it will provide that wattage at cruising speeds - but certainly a lot more than the Miller.
I provided a few numbers of my brushless motors tests at various loads and corresponding revs at the crank. Can somebody point me to some files with Alton performances ? Still searching. The Alton has a gear set inside still, I guess ?
Anyway, a walkernator would never be acceptable to my eyes, spoils the classic looks a lot. But there must be customers with all that power requirements today, I am not one of them.

Vic

danno

Non-VOC Member
Anyway, a walkernator would never be acceptable to my eyes, spoils the classic looks a lot. But there must be customers with all that power requirements today, I am not one of them.

Vic

Yes, I was going to say about the appearance. I didn’t realize the Walkernator was belt drive. I think there’s a pic in this thread.
That’s what you’re paying for with the Alton. It retains the classic, original looks and is discreet.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
I personally regard the valve lifter system as pretty suspect and probably the least thought out part of the engine. Francois says its use is unnecessary when starting and I never use it with the electric starter. It may be necessary with the bored out, high comp motors but I have no experience of one.