Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Ok thanks.
So the ignition key system I have is a bonus really. Will wire whatever I get into this. There’s a red light mounted in the headlight too for ignition on and charge which is handy too.
On a general point, (should know this really) how do you stop the engine on a standard Vin. Decompression lever?
Yes, decompressor stops it, must say I haven't run mine yet but didn't like the idea of not being able to switch it off.
Handy you've already got a Red light already.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Just wondering as a security point, how the BT-H is disengaged from the ignition system.
Would have thought a key and a tamperproof make and break switch would be needed.
A magneto is a self-contained unit that does not have an external power supply. There is usually a wire that earths out the unit to kill the engine. You can have a kill button on the handlebars or some people put the kill wire to earth through a switch or a switch with a key.

danno

Non-VOC Member
A magneto is a self-contained unit that does not have an external power supply. There is usually a wire that earths out the unit to kill the engine. You can have a kill button on the handlebars or some people put the kill wire to earth through a switch or a switch with a key.

Thanks. Yes, I did realize about the magneto being self contained but didn’t know how it was stopped.
I think an electronic ignition would probably be best as I have the switch and light already in place.
Can certainly see the power saving benefits of the CDI unit though.
Off to get the Alton now.
Once fitted I’ll check to see how the charge is.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
BT-H vs Grosset.
Did read here that the Grosset ignition is true fit & forget. Don’t think it comes with coils though.
Apart from the ignition, I don’t have much to power on the Rap. Lights, indicators and Grosset starter. I always use the kick, mainly due to the starter sounding like it’s struggling a bit.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
with the Grosset starter fitted I never use the kick starter, no need to as the electric starter is more than adequate, but their again I have a NormanWalker alternator fitted norm

danno

Non-VOC Member
with the Grosset starter fitted I never use the kick starter

Yes, that’s my intention.
I’ve read about the Walkernator a couple of times but it doesn’t seem to be as readily available as the Alton.
From what I gather it’s a Citroen 2cv alternator.

vibrac

VOC Member
The BTH is an electronic magneto replacement it has nothing to do with the wiring of the bike it is possible to connect the cutout wire to a separate switch if you must rather than a button personally I cut it off

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks. I’ve read that the coils may burn out if ignition is left on.
Not sure how long this takes.
I assume electronic ignition systems use a key barrel switch to turn on as with a conventional setup.
I have one mounted in the headlight for the Rita.

Just wondering as a security point, how the BT-H is disengaged from the ignition system.
Would have thought a key and a tamperproof make and break switch would be needed.
there is a cut off button wire I suppose if you wanted to you could wire that via a key to ground it ON to be off if you follow. but why bother if its gona be nicked it will be a van job no low life would start kicking a Vincent twin or understand following a grosset starter procedure:eek:

oexing

VOC Member
I would think pulling the valve lifter till the crank has some speed could help the Grosset starter have an easier life ?? The 70ies Guzzi singles , Nuovo Falcone, had a small starter so this was recommended.

Vic