Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I had a RITA with a JG on a Miller converted to 12 volt. That did not work very well. The RITA sucked up more electrons that the JG and Miller could make. So over to an Alton. Which was good during the day but after an hour or so night ride the turn signals wouldn't flash. So now an Alton and a BTH.
Steven

How’s the starting with the BTH magneto?
Sounds like that with my prospective Alton, I still may not have sufficient power reserves using the Rita.
A BTH would free up the Alton and I could possibly get a deal if I bought the two together.
The other thing is how maintenance free is the BTH mag?
Benefit of electronic ignition is they’re pretty much fit & forget. Grosset ignition system looks efficient. Unable to find any info or price though.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The BT-H "Mag" is actually a CDI ignition with it's own internal generator. I have had one on a Rapide for several years and the only issue has been self inflicted. I did try and run it using NGK 7 plugs but it hated to start cold, switched to 6's and never another problem.

vibrac

VOC Member
They do go rusty internally how bad they have to get to affect running is conjecture I have had one since year one of availability

danno

Non-VOC Member
BT-H vs Grosset.
Did read here that the Grosset ignition is true fit & forget. Don’t think it comes with coils though.
Apart from the ignition, I don’t have much to power on the Rap. Lights, indicators and Grosset starter. I always use the kick, mainly due to the starter sounding like it’s struggling a bit.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
BT-H vs Grosset.
Did read here that the Grosset ignition is true fit & forget. Don’t think it comes with coils though.
Apart from the ignition, I don’t have much to power on the Rap. Lights, indicators and Grosset starter. I always use the kick, mainly due to the starter sounding like it’s struggling a bit.
Danno,
Francois will supply with or without a coil, think they were standard fitment on Egli`s so good enough for me.
Cheers
Dave

danno

Non-VOC Member
Danno,
Francois will supply with or without a coil, think they were standard fitment on Egli`s so good enough for me.
Cheers
Dave

Thanks. I’ve read that the coils may burn out if ignition is left on.
Not sure how long this takes.
I assume electronic ignition systems use a key barrel switch to turn on as with a conventional setup.
I have one mounted in the headlight for the Rita.

Just wondering as a security point, how the BT-H is disengaged from the ignition system.
Would have thought a key and a tamperproof make and break switch would be needed.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Thanks. I’ve read that the coils may burn out if ignition is left on.
Not sure how long this takes.
I assume electronic ignition systems use a key barrel switch to turn on as with a conventional setup.
I have one mounted in the headlight for the Rita.

Just wondering as a security point, how the BT-H is disengaged from the ignition system.
Would have thought a key and a tamperproof make and break switch would be needed.

Hi Danno,
I'm going to fit an idiot light so I know the ignition is on & just a switch to turn it on mounted on the toolbox or headlight.
As standard there isn't any security as everything is controlled by the light switch so I'm not convinced a keyed switch is a deterrent.
Cheers
Dave

danno

Non-VOC Member
Hi Danno,
I'm going to fit an idiot light so I know the ignition is on & just a switch to turn it on mounted on the toolbox or headlight.
As standard there isn't any security as everything is controlled by the light switch so I'm not convinced a keyed switch is a deterrent.
Cheers
Dave

Ok thanks.
So the ignition key system I have is a bonus really. Will wire whatever I get into this. There’s a red light mounted in the headlight too for ignition on and charge which is handy too.
On a general point, (should know this really) how do you stop the engine on a standard Vin. Decompression lever?