Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A charge light was never standard. Get rid of it. That is what the ammeter is for!
Not to confuse but ALL the original wires were Black! So a specific colour means nothing except if you find 2 ends the same colour they may be the same length of wire - but check AND LABEL all.

Not that hard provided you do just ONE at a time and make notes.

Thanks for the documents.
Having read the article below and because I have electric start, lights and indicators, I’ve decided to get an Alton alternator rather than a new regulator.
I haven’t spent a lot on the bike so don’t mind the cost too much.

The original Miller dynamo may have been reconditioned during restoration, not sure but as mentioned, the 6v unit plus JG converter is barely enough for the Lucas Rita, Grosset electric start etc..
The Rita ignition works fine and Alton say in a reply that many owners run this ignition with no problems.

danno

Non-VOC Member
On my own bike I use the original earthing point at the rear of the UFM and take one wire from battery negative, another from the headlamp earth and another from the alternator regulator, all to that one point. So the electrons have a choice of wires or frame parts to travel through.

I have two earth cables running from battery positive. One to the rear of the UFM and the other to the LH tank securing bracket near the UFM point.
I’m used to vehicles that have negative earth but may as well leave the Rapide as is.
Will check with BTH about positive earth fitment before ordering the Alton.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I dont think BTH gives a hoot about your electrics its a separate system
I think danno is refering to the fact that you can buy the the Alton's in UK from BTH (look on the BTH website) and so he is going to ask BTH about the Alton's polarity options. Having never used an Alton myself I don't know if you can get positive and negative earth versions.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
BTH are certainly careful when ordering stuff. On Sunday I ordered a KD1 magneto and this morning they asked what machine it was for because they wanted to get the rotation right first time. When I answered they said I needed the 10mm spacer plate, which was a pain because I could not amend my order and had to order it separately. However, they immediately refunded the shipping cost for the second order, which has made me a little happier.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I’ve had no reply from UK distributors but Paul from Alton France explains the polarity situation.
The set can be used negative or positive earth with the same rectifier.
May just go with the order direct from Alton as the price, delivery etc is all explained in the email.

vibrac

VOC Member
Strange
Who did you think were the UK distributors? Did you contact Vincent spares?