Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dont worry about timing the bth Its easier than the old magnetos. The electronics does it all, after taking off the timing cover you slip a rod to hold the mag set the engine to (I say 34 degrees) do up securing nut on the fixed pinion take out rod job done.
And dont forget you still need a dynamo and regulator to provide lights unless you are a day time rider then you only need enough for the stop light and a dab of horn fodder in your battery:)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You might be a bit disappointed as there is a lot of non standard stuff on this bike. In this picture alone you can see

1) 34 mm Mikuni flat slide carburetor with big ugly K&N filter
2) 200 watt permanent magnet alternator with a J section poly V belt drive from a jack shaft in place of the generator
3) Voltage regulator for #2
4) Round thingy is the Vacuum Operated switch that changes the advance curve on the Screaming eagle ignition when the vacuum drops off
5) Can't really tell but a large alloy fuel tank with non standard taps
6) Thornton rear springs and shock

Pretty much been like that for 20+ years

Robert

View attachment 26896
Dear Robert,
A great photograph that tells me that this is my kind of bike, one that has been built to ride not just to look at. I am not too interested in originality and I don't do shiny. If I wanted mine to be more standard I would only have to remove the disc brakes, aluminium petrol tank, Mikuni carbs, foam air filters, car alternator, AVO front damper, AVO rear monoshock, Triumph switch gear, ... .... .... no, I like it the way it is, I just want to ride it.:)
Your finned regulator actually looks like part of the cylinder head at a glance. I've just ordered £50.00 worth of assorted electrical bits so in the near future, I'm going to do a complete rewire and repositioning of things.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I bought some of these, For the next time I do electrics, They do, 2, 4, and 6 pin types, Only about £6 for a male / female pair, I might have to use a sealer, To keep the weather out. Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_9746(2).jpg
    IMG_9746(2).jpg
    225 KB · Views: 32

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Dear Robert,
A great photograph that tells me that this is my kind of bike, one that has been built to ride not just to look at. I am not too interested in originality and I don't do shiny. If I wanted mine to be more standard I would only have to remove the disc brakes, aluminium petrol tank, Mikuni carbs, foam air filters, car alternator, AVO front damper, AVO rear monoshock, Triumph switch gear, ... .... .... no, I like it the way it is, I just want to ride it.:)
Your finned regulator actually looks like part of the cylinder head at a glance. I've just ordered £50.00 worth of assorted electrical bits so in the near future, I'm going to do a complete rewire and repositioning of things.
Yep, It gets ridden
IMG_3598.JPG

deejay499

VOC Member
I took the other route with a Lucas Rita and put on a ‘Walkernator’ which gives 360 Watts and balances everything easily, even with extra sidecar lights and spotlight on.

If you do Facebook there is an Alton page worth looking at.
The regulated supplied with your Alton alternator and fits neatly on top.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I bought some of these, For the next time I do electrics, They do, 2, 4, and 6 pin types, Only about £6 for a male / female pair, I might have to use a sealer, To keep the weather out. Cheers Bill.
Dear Bill,
You must psychic. One of the items in my £50.00 order that was delivered today was a 6 pin connector similar to the one in your photograph. I'm thinking of using it to make a split in the major wires near the back of the UFM, especially useful if you want to wheel the front of the machine away from the rear. Not a big deal if you only have a couple of wires but more electrics like indicators, starters, etc means more wires.

danno

Non-VOC Member
And dont forget you still need a dynamo and regulator to provide lights unless you are a day time rider then you only need enough for the stop light and a dab of horn fodder in your battery:)

Ah ok, I thought I was starting to understand.
From what I’ve seen, the dynamo is the same size as the magneto and I only
have the magneto.
What’s providing the power for lighting on my Rapide?
I assume the JG unit.

I would like to have lights. Don’t want to have to rush home anytime when it starts to get dark.
I know that it’s fitting new to old but is there a standard or most popular mod for modernising the Vincent ignition and lighting?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Do you have a cylindrical object in the position noted in post #41? Your JG unit is only the regulator and the power is produced by whatever is wired to it.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Danno, rather than waiting to get your bike on the road and then visiting your local section why not just go along. It is most unlikely that anyone will mind that you do not have a Vincent in working order. In fact most wont mind even if you do not have a Vincent. They just like to meet people with an interest in Vincents. This way you can see who you get on with and which you feel you could invite back to your den. Provided it is one of the knowledgeable ones you will get more information from a ten minute visit than days of poring over words on here. Provided that you have learnt to walk upright, not drag your knuckles on the floor or make messes on the carpet you will fit right in.

Yes, all makes sense. Having recently moved house, I don’t have a workshop and working on my three bikes in a single garage is a bit of a juggle.
So far, it’s actually the posts on the forum that’s helped get the Rapide back on the road after recommissioning it.
I will try to get along to a meet and look to join up but the help here is really useful.