Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
One issue is that many machines have very poor wiring, especially the connections. With modern day crimp connectors it is easy to do quick repairs, some of which are very weak (and look absolutely unsightly on the old bikes) This unfortunately is where most have problems ..........Also the importance of good earth points is critical, this was something very lacking on most all early machinery, the manufacturers struggled to come to grips with the importance of this as well. Because so many owners have equipped their bikes with all manner of electrical devices, the load on the electrical system is under much more strain. The need for proper connections is a must, and soldered joints give excellent results. Multi pin plugs are ok so long as the quality is good, it is not uncommon for the wires to separate from the pins when the plugs are separated, especially on small plugs where the male/female pins are very small.........You actually need a special crimping tool to do some of these plugs..........The wiring is probably one of the most neglected parts of old bikes.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A bit OT, but an earthing wire should be installed between the headlight shell and the UFM, so that the earth path is not through the steering head bearings.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Interesting stuff.
Couple of pics here of the Lucas Rita under the front cowl.
The ignition’s fine, just need to address the charging. The Alton is around £420 so could manage that.
If it works well with the Rita then that would be good otherwise don’t mind changing it.
Pazon has mixed reviews and as mentioned, may not be worth the high price.
Don’t think there’s anything available from Boyer Bransden.

Attachments

• 9907061C-F658-4022-AA6E-7078BC6AADBF.jpeg
    9907061C-F658-4022-AA6E-7078BC6AADBF.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 07886D36-319F-4466-B73C-33613E49D0E5.jpeg
    07886D36-319F-4466-B73C-33613E49D0E5.jpeg
    587.6 KB · Views: 46

greg brillus

VOC Member
I make my own wiring looms and always run an earth wire from the frame/battery/headlight shell. I also run extra earth wires to the horn and magneto kill switch if it has one. I don't like relying on the handlebars for the earth, too many paint layers in the way. Taillight......... I generally dremel some of the paint away where the bolts pass through so as to make a good connection. The taillights cop a flogging when riding, you see how much it all bounces around when you follow someone.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I had a RITA with a JG on a Miller converted to 12 volt. That did not work very well. The RITA sucked up more electrons that the JG and Miller could make. So over to an Alton. Which was good during the day but after an hour or so night ride the turn signals wouldn't flash. So now an Alton and a BTH.
Steven

Yes, the turn signals I have fitted don’t always flash. Either just stay on or don’t flash at all.
Not sure though what the BTH is. Is it an electronic ignition?

timetraveller

VOC Member
On my own bike I use the original earthing point at the rear of the UFM and take one wire from battery negative, another from the headlamp earth and another from the alternator regulator, all to that one point. So the electrons have a choice of wires or frame parts to travel through. Others can tell you better than I what the BTH is but my understanding is that it is a generator with an electronic replacement for the contact breakers, which are used on both coil and magneto systems, plus external coils to give you the spark voltage.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Yes, the turn signals I have fitted don’t always flash. Either just stay on or don’t flash at all.
Not sure though what the BTH is. Is it an electronic ignition?
The BTH is the new electronic magneto. Actually it is an almost self contained CDI unit, the coils being mounted separately from the charging/triggering unit. It fits in the original magneto position and resembles a magneto. So now your ignition is entirely independent of the state of your charging system and/or battery. Just like it was when it left the factory.
https://www.bt-h.biz/fm2rv--flange-mounted-twin-cylinder-16-p.asp
https://vocspares.mamutweb.com/Shop/List/Ignition-equipment/37/1 PR22/bth/1 on the VOC spares web site.

Dead easy to install and setup. I took the RITA off the Shadow and packed it away, I'll keep as a back up. I found my BTH used on evil bay and took a chance. I'm seriously considering one for the Comet in the future, currently it has a Boyer, with the drawback being if the ignition being dependent on the state of the charging system and battery, though the Boyer uses less juice.
Steven

danno

Non-VOC Member
It fits in the original magneto position and resembles a magneto.

Ok thanks.
Where would the Alton generator go?
Just a little confused with magneto, dynamo....
I can see a black, round housing behind the rear cylinder that says 6 VOLT (R side)
and also an alloy housing behind the gearbox dipstick (L side).
Just wondering if that’s actually two units.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Nope, same unit. That is the dynamo, it generate the electricity that charges the battery that feeds the ignition circuit. The dynamo is cylindrical in shape and is clamped to the cases behind the rear cylinder. The housing behind the gearbox dip stick is where the dynamo enters the primary case to be driven from the primary chain as it passes over the clutch sprocket. The Alton would replace the dynamo.
Steven