Misc: Charging Systems Series ‘C’ Rapide Battery Not Charging

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There’s a coil mounted on a bracket under the engine front in between the side stands. A red lead has detached whilst cleaning but should be able to locate where this goes.
The coil was caked in heavy oil and grime and it seems having wiring in this position makes it rather vulnerable.
Yes thats why I stick the BTH ones up high on the crash bar hole I have only used Lucas coils in the few cases where I have not used a magneto they are quite large alloy cylinders I guess there are more compact units nowadays akin the the BTH ones. Of course if you use an original Lucas Magneto rather than a BTH you dont need coils but I guess in the long run the cost is the same as it will need checking out.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Yes thats why I stick the BTH ones up high on the crash bar hole I have only used Lucas coils in the few cases where I have not used a magneto they are quite large alloy cylinders I guess there are more compact units nowadays akin the the BTH ones. Of course if you use an original Lucas Magneto rather than a BTH you dont need coils but I guess in the long run the cost is the same as it will need checking out.

Thanks.
I think the Alton generator would be a good start. Not sure how many watts the original Miller dynamo + JG regulator gives out but the Alton I hope would be sufficient for running lights, indicators and electric start.
As for ignition, the Rita is quite power hungry but could keep it and see how it goes.
Otherwise swap to a BTH magneto for independent ignition. Pricey though.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I had a RITA with a JG on a Miller converted to 12 volt. That did not work very well. The RITA sucked up more electrons that the JG and Miller could make. So over to an Alton. Which was good during the day but after an hour or so night ride the turn signals wouldn't flash. So now an Alton and a BTH.
Steven

Yes, this helps. So even after swapping over to the Alton, the charging wasn’t
quite up to it due to the Rita ignition.
I’ve read that Francois Grosset does an ignition unit. Might look into that as another option to use with the Alton.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Yes, this helps. So even after swapping over to the Alton, the charging wasn’t
quite up to it due to the Rita ignition.
I’ve read that Francois Grosset does an ignition unit. Might look into that as another option to use with the Alton.
THe grosset ignition system works very well, and draws a lot less power than a Rita system.
stumpy lord

danno

Non-VOC Member
My bet is the JG regulator has failed which was a common occurance with JG and today there is a lot better electronic regulators available.

Could be a cheap solution if I can narrow it to this. Any ideas where to get a suitable replacement?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Could try this. Can’t see though how to get at the commutator.

Dynamo a.png

danno

Non-VOC Member
Clean the commutator with some emery tape and some solvent on a rag and try that, use the rear stand and turn the engine over slowly by turning the back wheel with the bike in top gear, perhaps remove the spark plugs to help lessen the effort

Have done this using petrol and a cloth. The wiring loom securing nut was a little loose but doubt that has anything to do with it.
I think the dynamo would have to be removed to get at the brushes and retaining springs.