bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
See pic

Dynamo.png

danno

Non-VOC Member
Nope, same unit. That is the dynamo, it generate the electricity that charges the battery that feeds the ignition circuit. The dynamo is cylindrical in shape and is clamped to the cases behind the rear cylinder. The housing behind the gearbox dip stick is where the dynamo enters the primary case to be driven from the primary chain as it passes over the clutch sprocket. The Alton would replace the dynamo.
Steven

Ok thanks.
So the Alton generates the electricity to charge the battery. Are coils needed in addition to the electronic ignition unit to generate the spark?

vibrac

VOC Member
regulator position what about under the seat alongside the tool tray? here is pic of BTH and coils from Vincent Spares web site

Chris Launders

VOC Member
As regards earths the previous owner of my bike drilled and tapped the inner ends of the headlamp mounting bolts and used this as a front end earth terminal running a single wire back to the normal UFM earth point.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I am particularly interested to know where Robert has mounted his regulator. The Vincent twin doesn't have much spare space to fit accessories. (No space to spit through looks good.)

You might be a bit disappointed as there is a lot of non standard stuff on this bike. In this picture alone you can see

1) 34 mm Mikuni flat slide carburetor with big ugly K&N filter
2) 200 watt permanent magnet alternator with a J section poly V belt drive from a jack shaft in place of the generator
3) Voltage regulator for #2
4) Round thingy is the Vacuum Operated switch that changes the advance curve on the Screaming eagle ignition when the vacuum drops off
5) Can't really tell but a large alloy fuel tank with non standard taps
6) Thornton rear springs and shock

Pretty much been like that for 20+ years

Robert

20190424_172846.jpg

danno

Non-VOC Member
The BTH is the new electronic magneto. Actually it is an almost self contained CDI unit, the coils being mounted separately from the charging/triggering unit. It fits in the original magneto position and resembles a magneto. So now your ignition is entirely independent of the state of your charging system and/or battery. Just like it was when it left the factory.
https://www.bt-h.biz/fm2rv--flange-mounted-twin-cylinder-16-p.asp
https://vocspares.mamutweb.com/Shop/List/Ignition-equipment/37/1 PR22/bth/1 on the VOC spares web site.

Dead easy to install and setup. I took the RITA off the Shadow and packed it away, I'll keep as a back up. I found my BTH used on evil bay and took a chance. I'm seriously considering one for the Comet in the future, currently it has a Boyer, with the drawback being if the ignition being dependent on the state of the charging system and battery, though the Boyer uses less juice.
Steven

Thanks. Starting to understand it better now.
Just not up with the principles of magneto type ignitions, coming from 70’s BMW background.
So readily available options are:
1. Alton generator and regulator with a seperate electronic ignition + coils. Ignition would be mounted where the Rita is, under front alloy cover. Dependant on battery state.
2. BTH electronic magneto self contained ignition/generator unit. Seperate electronic ignition no longer needed under front oil filter cover.

Reading the BTH installation instructions, it mentions about timing and fixed advance/retard.
Will have to look into this as I haven’t needed to adjust the timing.

I agree, joining the club would be a good idea but would like to bring the bike
along if possible.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Danno, rather than waiting to get your bike on the road and then visiting your local section why not just go along. It is most unlikely that anyone will mind that you do not have a Vincent in working order. In fact most wont mind even if you do not have a Vincent. They just like to meet people with an interest in Vincents. This way you can see who you get on with and which you feel you could invite back to your den. Provided it is one of the knowledgeable ones you will get more information from a ten minute visit than days of poring over words on here. Provided that you have learnt to walk upright, not drag your knuckles on the floor or make messes on the carpet you will fit right in.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I agree with TT, go along now Vincent on the road or not, someone is bound to turn up on one and you can look and point and ask questions. We have several individual who show up at our monthly section meets who do not have Vincents at all. One young man is waiting for circumstance and the stars to align in his favor. Very knowledgeable about modern bikes, works in the industry, keeps us up to date. Another more seasoned individual who used to race shows up to just talk bikes, very interesting and has a large number of period photos. He usually brings a few along, he collects them. Buys them directly from specific period photographers or at auction. It's a nice evening out.
Steven