Series ‘A’ Valves

kettlrj

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The thread on series A valves is 11/32" x 32 TPI. I would like to purchase a tap & die set. Does anyone know of where they can be obtained?

Robert Watson

VOC Member

vibrac

VOC Member
Nope beats any of Tracy tools offerings its the 11/32 that does it. (I can see it its almost 9mm but I wont recommend sacrilege)

kettlrj

VOC Member
Many thanks Robert. I mailed them to ask if the thread form is Whit or UN but have not had a reply.
I will go ahead and order any way as the difference in thread form is minute.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
It is UN according to what I saw, but as my good friend and world class machinist has pointed out to me, the thread won't care about a 2.5 degree difference on the angle, and if you are making new threaded collars as well, then you can make them to match!

oexing

VOC Member
What is the idea about threads on these valves unlike split collets ? I do know nothing about series A engines, any photos for me to learn more ?
Actually I would be a little scared to cut threads into the valve stem - or so I imagine from this posting.

Vic

kettlrj

VOC Member
Hi Vic,
The series A engine is fitted with hairpin valve springs that fit under a retainer that screws on to the top of the valve, which in turn is locked in place by a locking washer that fits over the square end of the valve. Have a look on the web for an exploded view of the A engine to see how it all fits together.
Regards Richard.

oexing

VOC Member
Hi Richard,
thanks, I got some more clue now about that silly design - but no idea why they decided on this solution to a problem that does not exist on other bikes. Frankly, I would not want to copy this and machine threads onto valve stems to have all things original. I did a mod on a prewar Guzzi with same type of valve springs but used optimal valve cotters of the three grooves type to enable the valves to rotate a bit . The machined bit is aluminium and no threads or locking plates are necessary so oscillating weight is minimized - which will be milder on cam lobes.
The adjusting screw has a ball end plus its cup, no wear.

Vic

P1060847.JPG

P1060852.JPG