Serie A

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
I need an information about the Comet Serie A (from 1938).
Does the rims were genuine painted (black with red lines) or not ?
Thank you for your reply.
Michel.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Some early Vincent HRDs had all-black rims, but I think all the Series A models had chrome or alloy rims. The black centre with red stripes was a post-war measure due to chromium shortage.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Michel,

A standard A Comet would have had all chrome wheel rims. But if a customer specifically requested alloy rims at the ordering stage, he would have got them. Same as he would for other go-faster mods available at that time.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I'm with A_HRD on the wheels. They would have polished the edges but left the raised center bit as rolled before chroming. This giving a polished edge and a somewhat duller center. That for a Comet or Rapide, however I think some Meteors would have had black painted rims ????? so make sure it is a Comet. I find quite often if it's a single, it automatically is called a Comet (as most Post war ones were) but prewar there were lots of Meteors.

Jeeez Robert -- shut up

Albervin

VOC Member
To extend Robert's piece a bit: there are a lot of Cometeors around too so check the engine AND frame numbers.

Michel

VOC Member
Mine has engine number C497 and frame number D1418 out of factory end 1937, first registration 12 september 1938. It's a Comet, isn't ?

Michel

VOC Member
Good evening everybody,
Now I need an other information. What's the right colour of the tank: red or maroon or bordeaux ? Do you know the present reference of this colour ?
Thanks a lot.
Michel.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I bought some Lechler Dark Crimson cellulose and added a dash of black to it !! Colour is about RAL 3005. I think others have found a Ford colour that is about right.
PieampPintOct082.jpg

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Good evening everybody,
Now I need an other information. What's the right colour of the tank: red or maroon or bordeaux ? Do you know the present reference of this colour ?
Thanks a lot.
Michel.

If you go half way down the page linked below on Series A the discussion changes to tank colours.
http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/showthread.php?3206-Series-A-info-please/page2

I used Ford Imperial Maroon code AZ which appeared to match some maroon that was on the underside of my tank. Now was that the original paint? who knows. I have seen some series A painted bright red which looks too bright to me but may be right for some.

Heres a photo of my bike using the Ford Imperial Maroon.

Img_1428-1.jpg

Cheers
Simon