Serie A Tank

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
The tank of my Comet Serie A (1938) is in very sad condition. I need to make a new bottom but it's so bad I can't make a copy. Anyone has the drawing (factory drawing ?) of this tank and above all the bottom ? Thank you for your help.
Michel.

davidd

VOC Member
Michel,

I don't think that the was ever a drawing. If I remember correctly, the bottom is relatively simple. The bottom plane is defined by the tank mounts. It is flat between the mounts. The tunnel is a simple curve. The perimeter is defined by the existing sides. You do not say if you are doing it yourself, but any tank man or panel beater will find this an easy job.

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
for the experts, I know were there is a burnt out remains of a Series A twin tank all the soldier melted but metal is in good stead I think it is the same as a series A Comet ? If any use to Michel I will check it out DavidB

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Series A twin tank has two fillers and separate oil compartment......................

davidd

VOC Member
If you make a poster board pattern you can test the tunnel for fit. When you are happy with the pattern, you can trace it onto steel and bend it up. You can then test it for clearance and make the mods necessary for fitting and add in the mounts and tap bungs. For the A you will have to solder it into the original shell. I think the tunnel is round in the A tank, so it will have to be bent over pipe. For the Comet tank below it was square and I did the bends on the steel table pushing on big piece of angle iron and hammering on a block of wood.
FlashTank_015_edited-1.jpg

I complicated mine by adding a chase for cables and a large cut out for the carb, but the other side was similar to what you need.

FlashTank_016_edited-1.jpg

And welded:

FlashTank_017_edited-1.jpg

David