Selling my Rapide??

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I suggest you direct people to the classified section.

Slightly tricky for a couple of reasons.
1 - We don't have a classified section. and
2 - We don't have a classified section.

Allowing club members to know it is for sale so interested parties can contact the current owner to enquire about price and condition seems totally reasonable to me. Nobody has shouted about Rip's Egli, the twin in Whitehorse or even my Comet being mentioned.

Magnetoman

VOC Member

Allowing club members to know it is for sale so interested parties can contact the current owner to enquire about price and condition seems totally reasonable to me.
I don't plan on selling my Black Shadow for many, many years, nor do I plan on buying a second Vincent. So, whether or not advertising the sale of machines is prohibited on the Forum would have no effect on me. However, the same place where the Forum rules state advertisements are not allowed, also says the reason the Forum exists is:

The objects of the Forum shall be to facilitate open conversation concerning:
(a) The furtherance of social and sporting activities in the interests of motorcycling in general and the H.R.D. and Vincent marques in particular;
(b) The perpetuation of the H.R.D., Vincent H.R.D. and Vincent marques by encouraging and supporting the continued use of such vehicles;
(c) The perpetuation of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, and matters related to the activities and organisation of the Club.

It seems to me that transferring complete Vincents from one person to another almost certainly would further the club in every way stated above. While it could get annoying if posts started appearing advertising individual parts, complete machines are in different category. So, as a friendly suggestion, where the rule that has just been violated now says...:

(e) The VOC Forum prohibits advertising, spam and/or solicitation within the body of individual forum posts.

... whoever is in charge of such things might consider modifying this a tiny bit by adding a clause saying something like, except for the sale of complete machines.

carlm

Non-VOC Member
Don't solicit for your sister,
That's not nice!
Unless you get a good percentage of her price.

Oh. Different kind of soliciting. Sorry.
I suppose it was arguably advertising, but I usually think of advertising as TV commercials and magazine ads. And although I don't know the original poster, I doubt his post was spam. Mine either.
Love
Carl

jdhmike

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm dealing, or trying to deal on a 1950 numbers matching rapide basket case, Engine complete but sitting for 25 - 30 years, all parts with package what is it worth? How much for your bike?

carlm

Non-VOC Member
My bike? Lots. I don't want to get kicked off the forum, so maybe you better check "Floggers Corner" in the members only section. The price is there. Its also in the current MPH. How much for your basket case? No idea.
When are you putting together a PEI section? I'll come to your first rally.
(for the geographically challenged: PEI= Prince Edward Island, not our favourite engineer.)
Cheers
Carl

Postscript: With any luck I'll have sold the bike by then and can afford to go to PEI. Unlike now when I can't afford the North American. Apologies to Irene and John.

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Best avoid the Vincent if you're feeling a bit thrifty
Although, Carl has one for sale that sounds quite nifty
From what I've heard he's not at all shifty
Can't say the price, but it rhymes with swifty

Glen

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Ah, another Tom Lehrer fan.

Don't solicit for your sister,
That's not nice!
Unless you get a good percentage of her price.

Oh. Different kind of soliciting. Sorry.
I suppose it was arguably advertising, but I usually think of advertising as TV commercials and magazine ads. And although I don't know the original poster, I doubt his post was spam. Mine either.
Love
Carl

vibrac

VOC Member

Allowing club members to know it is for sale so interested parties can contact the current owner to enquire about price and condition seems totally reasonable to me. Nobody has shouted about Rip's Egli, the twin in Whitehorse or even my Comet being mentioned.

Or me trying to swap bits for a chain case (thankfully sorted now)
I know the classifieds died from lack of support (I put stuff there) but it was tucked away and some users of this forum wont even use the search facility let alone see what else is here. I would like to use a classified section but it needs to be seen and I can also understand the reson for the ban -who wants fifty chinese copy stop lamps per page. perhaps a more lenient approach or a pass for approval system is in order?

timetraveller

VOC Member
"wont even use the search facility ". I tried using this yesterday to search for the type of aluminium tube to be used for push rods as I was asked what it was only yesterday afternoon by a chum who races an Enfield. I could not remember which thread it was in but it was on this Forum only a few days ago. I tried both forms of search and used a variety of phrases such as aluminium tube+pushrods, aluminium push rods and so on. Lots came up about my clutch push rod kit but nothing about what I was looking for. I suppose that I am not using the correct words but other potential users of the search facility might be having the same difficulty.