• For any queries related to registration, engine numbers, frame numbers or buying a Vincent motorcycle, the only Club Officials who have access to all the Factory (Works) Records up to 1954 (including dispatch records) and worldwide ownership details gathered by the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club since 1948 are Simon Dinsdale (Machine Registrar) and Jonathan Lambley (Machine Researcher).

Never rely on Certificates of Authenticity or Dating Certificates issued years ago, nor information provided by sellers. You should always satisfy yourself that you know what you're buying before you bid/buy. Always do your own due diligence.

Simon and Jonathan can be contacted by following THIS LINK.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Seeking contact details of an ebay seller of Vincent parts

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Just as Covid hit around mid-March, I bid on, won and paid-for an auction for a Vincent Twin G50 Plate on UK Ebay. I gave it a couple of weeks then ebay-messaged the seller to say I hadn't received it. He replied straight back saying he was in Spain for a week working on his "project home" but then got stuck there as Spain locked-down and UK stopped flights. He offered to reimburse me or to send the plate as soon as he was able to get back home to UK if I was prepared to wait. I took the latter option as I wasn't in any hurry to use the plate just yet.

Now that lockdowns are easing in Europe and flights are restarting, I thought I would ebay-message him to get the latest situation. But ebay won't let me contact him because it's been 90+ days since the item was sold to me! That is despite ebay advertising that they are helping buyers and sellers affected by Covid-related matters. :mad:

So, a long shot I know, but does anyone know the identity of 'redlightningvincent' (Ebay name) so that I might contact him in due course? In which case would you please reply via 'Start a Conversation' which you will see if you hover your mouse over my Vulcan avatar.

Or have I been well and truly conned?

Peter B

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Peter my handsome, I hope you didn't pay too much for the G50 plate as the number which are now kicking around due to electric starters being fitted must be hundreds. If nothing comes of it let me know and I'll send you one of my two spares that were left over after Camita's & mine starters were fitted.
bananaman.

Graham Smith

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Peter - get straight onto PayPal.

When you paid, did you pay through a PayPal balance or did they take the money from your credit card?

If you paid via your credit card, your contract is with the credit card company and not PayPal.

I'd do it without delay.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Thanks for all the advice above.

But, credit where it is due, I would like to thank 'redlightningvincent' (Ebay Name) for keeping his word and sending the G50 plate - which arrived in good condition this morning. (Only about a 4 month delay due to Covid). There was no note included so I was unable to thank him personally.

See, there are some good guys out there, even on ebay, who keep their word... :)

Peter B

SteveW

VOC Member
I would not use Ebay. I got clipped by a false buyer then Ebay and Paypal ruled against me. I still paid through PP w/ no recourse.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I would not use Ebay. I got clipped by a false buyer then Ebay and Paypal ruled against me. I still paid through PP w/ no recourse.
Beware paying for expensive items with Paypal. If there is a problem you might find it a lot more complicated than you might imagine.
I bought a welder on eBay from a UK dealer. The welder became faulty and was returned for repair. When it was returned to me some of the features did not work. I returned it for repair again, this time delivering it in person as I was travelling close by on a visit to the North. After a month or two it had not been returned and on contacting the dealer he denied all knowledge of it being returned. As I'd delivered it in person I had no proof of shipping to the dealer.
I contacted eBay and got nowhere. If you pay using Paypal your contract is with Paypal and not with your credit card company so you don't have the rights that you would normally have if you paid directly with your card rather than via Paypal. I decided eventually to take the dealer to the small claims court. I researched and found all the correct forms on the internet, filled them all in and submitted them to the court. I found it very involved and a lot of work. At one stage my wife said it was too much hassle why not forget it and put it down to experience. I couldn't do that as I was so incensed by the dealer's brazen attitude. I got my day in court. At the hearing, the dealer didn't even put in an appearance. After being asked a few questions the verdict went in my favour and a court order was sent to the dealer who was given a date by which he had to pay. At this point, I thought that was all settled.
As the deadline approached no money turned up so I enquired what happens if he doesn't pay? The answer was that I myself would have to find a bailiff in the dealer's area to get the money. Fortunately, before I engaged a bailiff a cheque arrived albeit late.
I still often use Paypal as it is quick and convenient ......... but definitely not for expensive items. Caveat emptor in more ways than one.
Sorry for the long-winded post. Just trying to point out that you may be an honest person but don't assume that who you are dealing with will necessarily have the same standards as yourself.

vibrac

VOC Member
I am with Big Ed small items only from ebay/paypal. and then its a system second to none, but credit coverage for big ones I try to work from a balance with pay pal if it gets low I try to sell something to bump it up.
Somehow I have never used Amazon a fact I am eternally grateful for when that voice on the telephone rings to tell me about the £600 I owe them,,,,

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
I am with Big Ed small items only from ebay/paypal. and then its a system second to none, but credit coverage for big ones I try to work from a balance with pay pal if it gets low I try to sell something to bump it up.
Somehow I have never used Amazon a fact I am eternally grateful for when that voice on the telephone rings to tell me about the £600 I owe them,,,,
Funny,not 10 minutes ago,Amazon called to let me know $1,000 had been debited from my Mastercard,and to press 1 to speak to the "Cancellation dept." Do they never give up? I rather hoped that the virus would strike the call centres and give us all some peace and quiet.