Seeking a cure for a tired right leg...

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
For the last 20 years my Rapide has started 2nd or 3rd kick, hot or cold. A couple of prods of the tickler when cold, none when warm. I carefully check the carbs every 2 or 3 years, the timing every 5.. I recently put in a new set of points, gapped them..Now the Beast takes 10-15 kicks, hot or cold and seems to prefer being flooded, then kicked over with the exhaust valves lifted until in backfires, whereupon it starts.
I hasten to add that once running it pulls strong to an indicated 105mph, and idles beautifully. Any suggestions of where I should look first?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I recently put in a new set of points, gapped them..Now the Beast takes 10-15 kicks, ...Any suggestions of where I should look first?
I hesitate to suggest the obvious, but the way you describe it is about as cause-and-effect as it could be. Was it really transformed from instant starting to 15-kick starting when you changed the points? If it was, fine, but if there's more to the story the suggestions might be different than otherwise.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I think Ill investigate fuel first, because its easy, and I'm lazy and top end performance tends to eliminate ignition timing, unless of course its either far too advanced, making it hard to start..The plugs are sooty, but not fouled - I have air cleaners fitted but have never changed the main jet, or any jet for that matter to compensate..

Magnetoman

VOC Member
.The plugs are sooty, but not fouled - have never changed the main jet, or any jet for that matter.
Given this, the needle jet should be high on the list of suspects. The constant hammering they get slowly enlarges them and it takes only 0.0005" (half a thou.) to seriously enrich the mixture. It's true that the standard Amal lore is the needle/needle-jet only affect performance at mid-range, but life isn't that simple.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Perfect, thanks...I'll order a new needle jet and a couple of main jets in various sizes to see if that helps..They just dont make things like they used to.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I have examined the needle jet from the rear cylinder under a loupe and can find no marks except "Amal"...where is the number scribed or stamped?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I have examined the needle jet from the rear cylinder under a loupe and can find no marks except "Amal"...where is the number scribed or stamped?
What carburetor do you have on it (Standard, TT, Monobloc, ...)? I won't be home for a few hours but if you post the answer I'll tell you what to look for (note, most, but not all, of the needle jets for the old Standards were stamped with their size).

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Mine are 276..the needle jet is stamped "Amal"...but nothing else, I have examined both carefully under a loupe...and they appear to be steel rather than the brass which I would have expected..