PR: Proprietary Items Seat

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The illustration in KTB shows the flange of the hump fitting on the underside. My standard seat is the same, but may not be original. On Serge’s seat, it is on top, if I had installed the flange on the top on my large seat it would have hit the tubing arch.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all for sharing your helpful expériences. Please find herewith the picts which obviously did not went through
Looks like all original setup except for the odd philips (cross) head screws. The front legs have been butchered - there should be only one hole. You can purchase a complete set of seat iron from the VOC Spares co then have the seat rebuilt using the original cover and foam. Make a new marine grade plywood base using the old one as a pattern,

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
On my unrestored seat, the flange is visible on the outside of the plywood.

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
I cannot place why with the elongated seat I feel higher than before I reduced the squab on the rider end to the same as original and the feeling persists it may be my mounting frame I will investigate further on the rebuild but its nice to have more pillion space
View attachment 37995
Mine feels/is much higher , it does make things more comfortable with a pillion

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all for sharing your helpful expériences. Please find herewith the picts which obviously did not went through
The front mounting points can be welded up and redrilled Even if you put a doubler on the outside It’s only the inside distance that matters Cheaper than buying a new set and the original frames seem to fit better on the seat stays

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The frame I have just bought seems a bit on the thin side ,
I can't tell for sure because my other stuff has been messed with, By me years ago :D .
I may have to weld some strength into it, We will see.

vibrac

VOC Member
Its something I want to look at closely on my rebuild as I want to sit a little closer to the action with a fully sprung seat I think I can reduce the front fixing height but I must watch for tipping the seat forward so the rear must lower as well, The rear mudguard clearance is dictated by the closed length of my AVO coil over without taking it apart anyone know the closed length?
If necessary the lifting loop can go as with a center stand the rear is only for workshop or emergency use.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Tim,
If you make your own framework under the seat, there is nothing to stop you moving it forwards and down.
On my Comet I've gone upwards and back to give me more leg room

Neil

timetraveller

VOC Member
The earlier bikes had short front seat supports as standard. They were only lengthened later. When it comes to checking the minimum length of the AVOs be aware that there is a bump stop inside which, if it is like the front ones, is very hard to compress. When doing the checking sit on the bike with someone else, or a bag of sand, just to make sure that you are into the bump stop region.