seat stays

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When replacing the original friction seat stays with fully sprung tube stays, what is the best method of securing tube to rear footrest plate or should it be fitted to rear frame pivot spindle? What is considered the correct tube size and thickness and if secured to the footrest plate what possition. Thanks Derek.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
3/8 ths bsf bolt the seat stays are best replaced by cold drawn tube 1inch OD . Yuo will need to put a joggle in the tube to line up with the bottom hole in the footrest plates. that is to say the rear most top hole where the pillion footrests go ,or build a Gordon Griffiths sledge from electrical conduit. Ken

John Appleton

VOC Member
When replacing the original friction seat stays with fully sprung tube stays, what is the best method of securing tube to rear footrest plate or should it be fitted to rear frame pivot spindle? What is considered the correct tube size and thickness and if secured to the footrest plate what possition. Thanks Derek.

Derek, I agree with all that Ken has written, and would add a couple of points:-

1) The wall thickness that we use is 2mm on 25mm hydraulic tubing.

2) Dont be tempted to mount the bottom to the frame pivot points as this makes the angle of the seat stay too acute, and the resultant force tries to push the seat brackets off the back of the seat, which is why you will need a subframe (sledge) to absorb this loading.
John

timetraveller

VOC Member
I have seen A-BCD's bike at various rallys and it looks even better than on the photographs. It was several years before I realised it was not standard.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Here's a better picture for anyone interested !!
seatstaybracket.jpg