F: Frame Seat Stays

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Greg and Erik, I think that you might have a problem with this. Consider the situation when there is only the rider on board. Suppose he weighs 180 lbs/ 81 kgs. Roughly half that weight will be on the springs with the other half being taken by the front support to the seat. Now put on your favourite pillion passenger say 140 lbs/64 kgs. More or less all their weight will be taken by the rear springs. So the rear loading goes from, say,90 lbs to 230 lbs. That is divided by two as there would be two of the proposed units. If 45 lbs/inch springs were used then they would compress about half an inch each with only the rider on board and about two and a half inches with the pillion passenger on board as well. Even if you pre-load the springs by half an inch so that the solo rider's weight is fully supported prior to a bump, there would still be a further two inches of depression with your main squeeze on board. I think that you would have to build in some adjustment.
Clearly it has been done so it would be good to have feedback from those who have used this as to whether the above problems actually occur.

erik

VOC Member
to my mind it would be okey to have heavy springs with the result of no difference to a solid stay. and with pillion the springs stay in Action.

oexing

VOC Member
I will try to get Fournales air shocks working on the Bramptons and rear. But these have to be shortened. So in this discussion one has to find air shocks for your purpose , don´t know where to look.

Vic

Black Flash

VOC Member
@Greg
Don't worry about the empty brackets when converting to fully sprung suspension.
You can always fit an oval racing number plate using these brackets.
This looks even better if combined with drilled [go faster holes!] brake torque arms.

Cheers Bernd

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
@Greg
Don't worry about the empty brackets when converting to fully sprung suspension.
You can always fit an oval racing number plate using these brackets.
This looks even better if combined with drilled [go faster holes!] brake torque arms.

Cheers Bernd
If you put a bit of heat on them, They just fall off, I did it with my Special. Cheers Bill.
The Bikes not worth much anyway !.

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
On my next project yes I will probably remove the brackets as I will be using a new RFM as trying to find originals is getting too hard. But not on my Rapide, this looks too original to change......... I like to make changes, but ones that are not too visible. Pretty keen to improve the ride comfort though, especially for my better half............

vibrac

VOC Member
If its comfort you are after I recommend seat stays the 4" longer seat* and an AVO single coil over
* I did have the rider squab portion reduced in height to the same as standard but then I like two feet firmly planted on the floor.