FT: Frame (Twin) Seat Stay FT111

STEPXL

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A couple years back I found that LS seat stay (FT111) had fractures at the neck, was welded back together. On checking bikes after and arduous almost off-road ride here in Philippines ride last weekend, found fractured again on other RS side.

Unfortunately, this time the threaded section and locknut (558) were missing from (FT17). I ordered new long thread stays from The VOC Spares Company Limited.

Has anybody have issues with fractured Seat Stays?

I was riding solo and I weigh 93kg, so it was not exactly overloaded.

I assume a long stay thread is an improvement over the original?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I broke one years ago, but I may ;) have gained weight since then and no breakage since. Mostly smooth roads, though.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Is your FT111 stainless or original cadmium plated steel? Also, have you checked the operation of the friction dampers and the bushed sleeves in the FT111 itself? While you're at it , check that the pivot sleeve at the front of the seat works as well. Someone smarter than I might confirm whether stainless is more brittle than whatever grade of steel was originally used. I guess 304 or 316 stianless might be used, but I don't know this.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If your bike has a rear damper you shouldn't have be using any friction on the seat stay damper, this partially defeats having the rear damper.
The only reasons it should break are misalignment, something seized or having the stay damper tight.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
They must be at least snug, or the 1/4" ball will not engage in the recess of the damper knob which then will yodel off into the shrubbery.