Seat Foam PR1/3

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi and Merry Xmas to all, I am building a custom seat for my Comet which is basically the same as the old one but with a dip in the centre from front to back, can anyone tell me if a brand new seat squab (foam) is able to be bent slightly to suit or is it quite solid?

Kevin

hadronuk

VOC Member
Hello Kevin. I have the long seat PR1/BA, and the foam is softer and thicker than the foam on my original seat. So it will easily bend, but I suppose the top surface could crease if the curve is too much. Perhaps if necessary you could stretch the lower surface and glue it to your seat base?
Some people say the foam is too soft, but I find it just right for my weight of 11 stone.

P.S I am fairly sure that the extra length of the long seat is all added to the pillion part, the riders part is the same as the standard length seat.
Rob

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The Victorian Section had 10 foams manufactured, slightly oversize. These can be trimmed to suit with a stout bread knife or similar. Bob Williams, previous editor of our Section magazine has used one successfully in an overhaul of his seat. PM me for further information if you wish. I have also found that a 1/2" or so layer of softer foam fills out the shape and adds to comfort.