Sealed wheel bearings?

W.C.Machine

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Has any one installed them. I did some searches but did not find anything. It would seem that sealed bearings, like whats in modern bikes would be better and offer less chance of grease getting in the drums. What do you think?

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has any one installed them. I did some searches but did not find anything. It would seem that sealed bearings, like whats in modern bikes would be better and offer less chance of grease getting in the drums. What do you think?
The idea of the taper bearings is to allow for expansion in the assembly. I presume you are referring to sealed ball bearings ?

W.C.Machine

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The idea of the taper bearings is to allow for expansion in the assembly. I presume you are referring to sealed ball bearings ?

The expansion idea may have been practical in the 1940's, but seeing as how tapered roller bearing are mostly extinct now a days, I wonder if it really matters. Just about all manufacturers have changed to sealed ball bearings, HD held out for a while, but even they have gone to sealed ball bearings. Seem to me that this is one of those areas that may benefit from modern technology. Just a thought.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have a 2007 Buell with sealed ball bearings. I am sure they will last a long time, but they take a special puller to get them out. Our rollers are much easier to maintain and, if not over-greased, do the job well. I think the big appeal for the sealed items is that they are installed in one operation at the factory, with no pesky shimming that then needs quality procedures to assure proper life (for rider and hub).

According to http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/wheel_bearing/index.htm , even BMW didn't quite do their wheel bearings right. Of course, the two Phils did.

W.C.Machine

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a 2007 Buell with sealed ball bearings. I am sure they will last a long time, but they take a special puller to get them out. Our rollers are much easier to maintain and, if not over-greased, do the job well. I think the big appeal for the sealed items is that they are installed in one operation at the factory, with no pesky shimming that then needs quality procedures to assure proper life (for rider and hub).

Good point.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Seals

Hi,
I make brass items to fit in for the narrower outer rings, then ther is space to put them, they leave a gap of 0,1 mm at the inner race then (as grease is following centifugal forces) it won't come out and drums stay dry (mine does) you can also use Nilos rings but be sure to buy ten of them as they are very fragile, each time they are bent they wont do the job any more (hapenes often when taking wheel in and out)

To put in ball races, it will take a redesign of the hub and hollow axle

Happy driving
Vincent