Scrunchy Comet

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've fitted a Conways clutch to the comet which is light years ahead of the old Burman job. First can now be engaged from start silently, much better, and gear changing is generally much nicer. No apparent drag at all. There is however, sometimes still a small scrunch when changing down, particularly into second. Any ideas? Thanks.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, I've never had this with a Burman Clutch ! The only thing I can think of is a tight primary chain, Might be worth a look, Cheers Bill.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi John,
Don't know if this helps but when changing down on the Comet I have found it necessary to blip the throttle rather more vigorously than with the twin. It might get you an ASBO though.
Hugo.

B

Bikersally

I've fitted a Conways clutch to the comet which is light years ahead of the old Burman job. First can now be engaged from start silently, much better, and gear changing is generally much nicer. No apparent drag at all. There is however, sometimes still a small scrunch when changing down, particularly into second. Any ideas? Thanks.

No issues with the burman on my comet.

nkt267

VOC Member
I get an ASBO as soon as I start the Comet:eek:.
I usually blib the throttle when changing down, force of habit over the years.
I suspect that the adjustment on the clutch needs looking at, as scrunching on the way up is sometimes an issue if I try to change too quickly. An interesting fact is that on my hand change 1932 Sunbeam clutch stops are fitted, not to stop too much movement but to slow down or stop the pressure plate, as an aid to better down changes:confused::confused:..john

Albervin

VOC Member
It is certainly worth checking chain tension (primary and final) as this could be putting tension on the clutch. Also make sure the gearbox is "centred" with adjusting bolts securely tightened.