Screens, love them or hate them?

Tracey Tilley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With a long motorway journey coming up, a screen has been fitted today.

I love it. It's not too over the top and hopefully will do the job. IMG_0063.jpg

A_HRD

VOC Member
Chris/Tracey,

Nice job - adjustable too I see.

I would be interested to know if you discern any increase in mpg - in due course...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

ossie

VOC Member
on my Vincent no screen you get all the wind and over the years you don,t notice it, on my diversion with screen taller than standard but not by much,
you tend to get aching neck as your head gets most of the wind 'and its not comfortable trying to get down behind it.
try doing 70 on your Vincent without moving the throttle just lie down on the tank [if you are not to embarrassed to do it] and watch the speed rise.
mpg must be better as a screen is curved to go through the wind apposed to your arms out acting as a wind break deflecting the wind inwards like a parachute.
OSSIE

tim welsh

Non-VOC Member
Chris/Tracey
Looks good. Care to share what make/model it is? Mounted to headlamp supports?
Ive been thinking of one for ages, either a screen or fill the tankbag to its max and shelter behind that!
Tim

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
It's a PUIG from M& P in Swansea. Yes, headlamp supports and forks.No real change in MPG. But really comfortable. The 4 thin rubber washers between the adjusting screen need to be replaced with fatter ones.
Master cylinder is a Honda VFR 750 or 800.Any bike with level bars can be looked at and assessed for the job.

Remember different bore size = different pressure.

Alan J

VOC Member
Tracey, the factory screen on my Bonnie is a disaster! Awful buffeting and wind noise! I have an old screen fitted to my A.J.S. for the winter, it is o.k. Except for the fact that the engine noise of old bikes is horribly magnified! (Sending this from a field in Romania- don't ask!)

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I tried a screen on the Rapide for awhile, same problem, the wind noise in the helmet was horribly loud and annoying. I guess the wind flow moving up and over the screen was directed into the base of the helmet. It was adjustable, however I could not adjust the problem away, so I sent it back to the supplier.
I have a small Puig screen on the Triumph Daytona 955i, it is nicely made. That one directs the flow of air at my upper chest, which is ideal. Leaned forward as you are on modern sportbikes, the airflow at 70 mph is just enough to counteract upper body wieght and take all of the strain off the wrists.
Glen