Scam, urgent!

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have had what i believe to be a scam, con email, regarding Norman Walker, the email claims to come from Norman stating that following the theft of all of his possessions, other than his passport! That he is stranded in Manila and needs funds transferred to him via Western Union to enable him to book a flight home, ok, it is a scam, of that i am sure, if genuine Norman, please call or email me and I will help you.

Peter Holmes

Last edited:
G

Graham Smith

Yeah, I had one of these from Norman too!

It's a common one unfortunately.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Although obviously a scam, the slightly worrying thing is that it arrived as an Email, but from Normans bona fide Email address, is this an easy thing to do or have they infiltrated Normans computer, I did try telephoning Norman but did not get a reply.

Howard

VOC Member
I'm off to Spain soon, so if you get one of these emails from me, it's probably genuine. Please send San Miguel vouchers. :)

H

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
I have just had a letter from a scammer I noted they do not say your car but your item and can we have your address so this item may be picked up once you receive payment this came from a address in Oregon USA

carlm

Non-VOC Member
We've had a few of the rescue scams come through on a genealogy forum when some of the listers' emails have been compromised. No one takes them seriously anymore. And I've had a few of the "item" scams since I advertised the bike on the vincent dot com. Bad spelling, bad grammar, junk-and-delete.
Oh yeah, and I had a phone call from a scammer who is famous in the club. His name rang an unpleasant bell, so I phoned around to other members to find out why. Many thanks John, Irene, and John.
Its a jungle out there in internet-land aint it?
Cheers
Carl

G

Graham Smith

It's easy to send an email that looks like it came from someone else.