Sauce Pan Case Clock

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
very interesting !
as I own the 5th Black Shadow, the first in France ordered with a sauce pan clock but with KM/ph , as noted on the Works Order Form (only 2 x B Shadow were sent to France ...in june 1948) I am looking for a Sauce Pan Clock (it was change to a more modern one later)
If I could find one or someone who can rebuild one , it would be great !

I believe one of the guys in the Vancouver section made a replica sauce pan case.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
That would be me....... and it was a right Pain in the backside to make.
The face plate is completely different and I had no idea how they mounted the works inside so just made it up as I went along. I still don't think it is right but there probably isn't another one within a few thousand miles of me so I don't worry about it!

This is what we call a Rapide in Shadow clothing!
I did have to point out to a certain ex-member that the JRO 101 (One before JRO 102 as a small joke) when he complained that a Club Exec member was running around with a number plate that had been issued to a Jaguar in London which is highly illegal in the UK that said number plate was some 7000 miles from any authority that would have a problem with that!

Another SoCal Member subsequently built JRO 100 and we call it not one upmanship, but one downmanship!

IMG_4375.JPG

Dominique2

VOC Member
That would be me....... and it was a right Pain in the backside to make.
The face plate is completely different and I had no idea how they mounted the works inside so just made it up as I went along. I still don't think it is right but there probably isn't another one within a few thousand miles of me so I don't worry about it!

This is what we call a Rapide in Shadow clothing!
I did have to point out to a certain ex-member that the JRO 101 (One before JRO 102 as a small joke) when he complained that a Club Exec member was running around with a number plate that had been issued to a Jaguar in London which is highly illegal in the UK that said number plate was some 7000 miles from any authority that would have a problem with that!

Another SoCal Member subsequently built JRO 100 and we call it not one upmanship, but one downmanship!

View attachment 27460
thank you so much for those informations (I heard about Jaguar stuff) and this good sense of humour (apologise for my poor English)

Logan Coombs

New Forum User
VOC Member
I have a '50 Rapide (2501) and would like to replace my repro 2-piece rear number plate--anyone know if the VOC Spares offering is that? Thx Mark
Hi - I have already received this plate. It looks to me most similar to the Vincent part, so I bought. Top is welded and ground smooth.
Let's have the others who are more expert have the final say of contour shape
Logan
Grove Classic Motorcycles Unit 2, Charity Farm, Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire, MK43 0QFA22/20 Rear Number Plate - 1948 - 1958

Dominique2

VOC Member
hello ! I would like to get the size (H x Diameter) of a sauce pan case, and about some picture in order to build a replica of the sauce pas clock , If someone could send me some pictures and sizes , and some details (if possible) about it would be great
thank you in advance

Dominique2

VOC Member
Hello ! I would like to rebuilt a case of the sauce pan clock (it was lost) If anyone could send me the size of the sauce pan case, pictures and details if possible it could be great... thank you in advance

Attachments

• Franck Stephan Black Shad - Copie.jpg
    Franck Stephan Black Shad - Copie.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 49

Dominique2

VOC Member
Robert Watson made one of those speedometers for his Replica B Shadow. Knowing him and Dan they probably made the case from billet titanium.
Thanks, ! Do you think he could send me some drawing of the case or anything else (pictures, size etc) ?
stay safe !

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Well Dominique. it wasn't too tough.

I took a piece of 5" cold rolled C1020 mild steel. Bored it out to a suitably thin wall and then deep enough to fit all the chronometric works. I didn't make any drawings so nothing really to send you except a picture.
I initially made it to fit a chrono set I had that used the external gear drive on the back but the case was far too deep, so I swapped those internals for one that used the integral gear drive on the back which is much shorter overall. I got a new bezel from I think KTT in Australia back then (mid 1990's) and turned up the threads to suit. Local glass shop cut me a glass and i made some gaskets.
The cable drive just exits a hole out the bottom and all the internals or held with three screws through the back of the case. I made a suitable mount but had to re do that as the weight of the whole thing was too much for my first rather delicate mount and it broke on a trip to California.

Andy Rackstraw in NZ made the faceplate. He did three of them, (It only took a few years, I had even forgotten about asking for them when they arrived in the mail!). I have one, I gave one to Dan Smith and it is on a typical cast 5" speedo on his daughter's Rapide and I think I gave the third to Somer Hooker....

I have seen JRO 102 but didn't take any photos so have no idea how close to original it is. People seem to be far more clever these days and get far closer to original. As my cases are much earlier and I can run any silly UK style reg plate it has JRO 101 on it.

If I was to make another - which I am not - I would just use a nice 5 in OD tube and weld the back into it and machine to suit. Boring out the case took quite a while and made a big mess!

I don't have any close up photos of the speedo but here is one of the bike.
IMG_4375.JPG