Sat-Navs Sat-Navs: Any Recommendations?

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Tim,
I use my Zumo 660 to follow routes/roads that I want to travel on. This is more often than not on minor roads and avoiding towns wherever possible.
I have looked at Garmin Basecamp but find, that for me, it not as easy to use as Garmin Multimap. Multimap is no longer being developed but is still available, free, for download. It accepts the latest map updates so available roads are as the last map update on your 660.
Planning a route to visit points using the roads that you want is relatively easy. I would be pleased to show you some quite complex routes that have worked well for back roads club runs. I can give you a tutorial if you want to come around for a cup of tea next time you are coming to a GCM or want an excuse for a ride.
P.S. I initially used a pair of Etymotic ER6 in ear speaker plugged into the Zumo to receive instructions. These also served as the best earplugs I've ever used. I am now using a Cardo G4 unit to automatically connect to the Zumo via Bluetooth and in helmet speakers. This avoids having unplug from the Zumo when I get off the bike. The next mod is to put a socket on the helmet mounted G4 so that I can use the Etymotic in ear speakers without a head to bike connection.
P.P.S. I have a virtually non existent short term memory. Following a written route is problematic as I only retain one instruction at a time. I am continually having to look at the route sheet to find the next line while trying to concentrate on the road. I feel much safer having an audible prompt giving directions and a picture of the next turn/junction on screen.

I still haven't beaten pen and paper in my tank bag but needs change
my main problem is I want to go byways by MY route
although I thought I could upload one from Goggle maps I have yet to find one that does
I have looked again at Garmin with their product 'Base camp'
you can download it onto a PC but my attempts seem to ignore roads and go way point to way point and the maps are crude
yes passenger rider intercom and music is OK but loading your own route and not depending on the internet is more important what use is GPS when its a machine route not yours whoever found a car driver who knew what roads a biker likes....

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Dear Tim,
I use my Zumo 660 to follow routes/roads that I want to travel on. This is more often than not on minor roads and avoiding towns wherever possible.
I have looked at Garmin Basecamp but find, that for me, it not as easy to use as Garmin Multimap. Multimap is no longer being developed but is still available, free, for download. It accepts the latest map updates so available roads are as the last map update on your 660.
Planning a route to visit points using the roads that you want is relatively easy. I would be pleased to show you some quite complex routes that have worked well for back roads club runs. I can give you a tutorial if you want to come around for a cup of tea next time you are coming to a GCM or want an excuse for a ride.
P.S. I initially used a pair of Etymotic ER6 in ear speaker plugged into the Zumo to receive instructions. These also served as the best earplugs I've ever used. I am now using a Cardo G4 unit to automatically connect to the Zumo via Bluetooth and in helmet speakers. This avoids having unplug from the Zumo when I get off the bike. The next mod is to put a socket on the helmet mounted G4 so that I can use the Etymotic in ear speakers without a head to bike connection.
P.P.S. I have a virtually non existent short term memory. Following a written route is problematic as I only retain one instruction at a time. I am continually having to look at the route sheet to find the next line while trying to concentrate on the road. I feel much safer having an audible prompt giving directions and a picture of the next turn/junction on screen.

Eddy
Please take care if you wish to switch from the standard G4 speakers to inner ear monitors.
Scala in their infinite wisdom use RED as earth. DAMHIK :rolleyes:

I'm now using a Scala G4 with Ultimate Ears moulded inner ear monitors, and it works fine.

All the best
Neil

PS
Basecamp is database driven and Mapsource was vector driven. Basecamp just takes a lot longer to get used to.

vibrac

VOC Member
My other thoughts are that most of the time in the UK I am not "ferry driven" I know my way about and an A5 list of printed names is enough the only electronic needs I have is catered by a Google quick street view of the closing mile or so to my destination before setting out.
Abroad touring is different its a 1000 miles to wherever and a ferry or an hotel is waiting and an own route planned ready GPS has its place BUT thats a big investment for once or twice a year.
A mobile is too small for a bike (I already have a bog standard phone with gps ive tried it -myopic in the tank bag)
I was thinking about a cheap android a5 screen device that way I can use it for other things the rest of the year but then I wonder if I can down load the programed goggle maps (they are the same company after all ) AND run it off line punching the down arrow occasionally (don't trust wireless internet and cant afford the rates abroad)
It should be easy......