Non Vincent Related Sammy Miller

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There is no doubting that Sammy Miller was a great competitor and his efforts at recreating rare machines to add to the notable collection in his museum are amazing.
Just as a heads up, I have friends\aquaintances who have intimated that if you loan parts to help him recreate a particular model you may experience considerable difficulty in getting your parts back.

Ken Tidswell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Don't know the man, but have visited the museum and indeed a fine collection of machinery.

Only two comments.

My good friend Dan Smith had a long time ambition to recreate the AJS V4, only in its original air cooled form. He wrote to Sammy Miller and asked if he could offer any insights as far as certain dimensions and other things were concerned. the response was something like, "why would I, I have the only one in the world". Albeit his was what resulted from all the air cooled prototypes and failures being sent to the race shop at AJS and being converted to water cooling amongst other things.
Dan of course did recreate the air cooled street version, doing the engine from scratch, start to finished on the bench in 9 months. The complete running bikes is now in a museum in the Czech Republic, and very nice it is too!

The second comment is about a lovely magazine article featuring two Series A's, a single and a twin. What jumped off the page at me was the fact that all the wheels had black centres, and coach lined in red as per postwar Vincents. It started me wondering if he couldn't get that right what else was bodged.

Now I'll duck down behind the wall and wait for the flack to fly over!
i think this is a criticism of all SM's resotations according to experts of other marques they are all 'not quite not unlike ' the real thing to quote from 'the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy'