Non Vincent Related Sammy Miller

G

Graham Smith

Club Member Sammy is thrilled to have been awarded the Guild of Motoring Writers prestigious President's Trophy as well as the award for Outstanding Customer Care at the New Forest Brilliance in Business Awards...and all on the same night!

264986339_4616801848411400_7753555893811624599_n.jpg

Guy R H Hicks

Forum User
VOC Member
This guy is an absolute hero of mine….have a signed copy of “Sammy on trials” ….not to me i might add! Saw him at spa in 2014ish…and all he has done with the museum and stuff…..bloody legend Sammy, there are few that have contributed so much xx

G

Graham Smith

Sammy’s museum is a must-visit place in the United Kingdom if you’re into bikes. The sheer volume of interesting machines he has there is incredible.

If this year’s joint Series ‘A’ and ‘D’ Rally goes ahead with the planned visit to Sammy’s museum, it will be an event not to miss.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Sammy’s museum is a must-visit place in the United Kingdom if you’re into bikes. The sheer volume of interesting machines he has there is incredible.

If this year’s joint Series ‘A’ and ‘D’ Rally goes ahead with the planned visit to Sammy’s museum, it will be an event not to miss.
A few years ago when the Annual Rally was held at Fordingbridge the ride-out was to Sammy's museum at New Milton. Well worth a visit.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
That evening my brothers Vincent was stolen and mine was 6' away next day my son turned up and said "I glad it was yours Harveys dad" . "That's not nice Robert " I said, "But he's only got one weeks memories with it, you have a life time with yours".

Colin

VOC Member
Sammy was one of the greatest trials riders of all time. He was great because he had an indomitable will to win. I rode in the same trials centre as Sam for several years, and even in an evening club trial among mates, he rode to win. (and why not) On one section a deep "bombhole" with a sea of mud in the bottom, I came off my 350 AJS in the bottom and could not extricate myself. Sam simply rode down the side and used me and my AJS as grip to climb out for a clean!
He did come back and help me out though. A great guy who also made some must-have mods for trials bikes, in fact he modified my little Honda TL125 trail bike into a competitive (for my novice ability) 150cc trials bike. A good starter bike for an old man!!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Don't know the man, but have visited the museum and indeed a fine collection of machinery.

Only two comments.

My good friend Dan Smith had a long time ambition to recreate the AJS V4, only in its original air cooled form. He wrote to Sammy Miller and asked if he could offer any insights as far as certain dimensions and other things were concerned. the response was something like, "why would I, I have the only one in the world". Albeit his was what resulted from all the air cooled prototypes and failures being sent to the race shop at AJS and being converted to water cooling amongst other things.
Dan of course did recreate the air cooled street version, doing the engine from scratch, start to finished on the bench in 9 months. The complete running bikes is now in a museum in the Czech Republic, and very nice it is too!

The second comment is about a lovely magazine article featuring two Series A's, a single and a twin. What jumped off the page at me was the fact that all the wheels had black centres, and coach lined in red as per postwar Vincents. It started me wondering if he couldn't get that right what else was bodged.

Now I'll duck down behind the wall and wait for the flack to fly over!

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I was there many a time, last visit feb 20.
Yes in torrential rains etc.

We were 3 bikes, a nice party.

As there was only us, he got triggered by a vinnie exhaust.

Came out, we in, at closing time.
So we said, wll be back tomorrow.
He runs off to the phone, and arranges a hotel.
Next day got a vusit in his workshop as well.

Upon leaving, he asks, where off to you lads, our answer: to the Girls.
Lots of fun.

Cheers.

I will be there by end feb. Yet again. Talk over a Lighthouse..

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Don't know the man, but have visited the museum and indeed a fine collection of machinery.

Only two comments.

My good friend Dan Smith had a long time ambition to recreate the AJS V4, only in its original air cooled form. He wrote to Sammy Miller and asked if he could offer any insights as far as certain dimensions and other things were concerned. the response was something like, "why would I, I have the only one in the world". Albeit his was what resulted from all the air cooled prototypes and failures being sent to the race shop at AJS and being converted to water cooling amongst other things.
Dan of course did recreate the air cooled street version, doing the engine from scratch, start to finished on the bench in 9 months. The complete running bikes is now in a museum in the Czech Republic, and very nice it is too!

The second comment is about a lovely magazine article featuring two Series A's, a single and a twin. What jumped off the page at me was the fact that all the wheels had black centres, and coach lined in red as per postwar Vincents. It started me wondering if he couldn't get that right what else was bodged.

Now I'll duck down behind the wall and wait for the flack to fly over!
Jim Robb of Oregon was on the British Army's Trials Team knew him from competition and didn't have much good to say about Sammy Miller either.