Sam Manganaro 1.jpg

David

Attachments

• Classic Bike Manganaro-small-8-14.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 80

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting............. I know Sam has been at this far longer than me, but I think 200 hours to restore one of these bikes is very lean.........I'm thinking well in excess of 400 plus. Perhaps he does not count all of them, I know i struggle to remember them all. Of course it depends entirely on how good a bike it was to start with too, right down to the condition of all the nuts, bolts, and many other small parts..........This is where much of the time gets eaten up, in the fine detail that so many bikes tend to loose over time. Cheers...........Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Journos sometimes spice up the story.
Sometimes... everytime
I have yet to read an article where I have some inside information that did not get something wrong or had incorrect information. There was an article about my sons business a few years ago I covered the page with higlighter.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
My family started running a newspaper in 1840. Sold it a couple of years ago. I think vibrac is correct.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I make you right Greg, if he spent a bit more time he would not have placed the oil supply line outside of the battery! Hurt my eyes.

vibrac

VOC Member
And not to be too hard on the printed word the TV is far worse anyone who thinks fake news is a product of the trump era is way off line and it can only get worse have a look at fake videos of Obama speaking to camera
And as for 200 hours to rebuild a Vincent ...I wish!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Lets have a go at estimating the time to completely strip an original Black Shadow engine, well worn with remnants of original paint. This will include a total strip out of all bearings, oil pump sleeve, and whatever spindles that fall out............Whatever preparation you consider, so that the cases and covers can be completely re-painted in a high gloss enamel/euro- thane finish to concourse standard. This includes all the time to carefully mask it up for paint prep.........then a total careful reassembly, with near all new parts..........Bearings, spindles and oil pump sleeve installed before the paint job of course. Rebuilt crank and rods, new pistons/barrels if necessary, all new case though studs, nuts and washers. New cams, followers, timing gears, heads fully overhauled with new guides, valves, springs, rocker bearings/pins as required. Replace the output shaft bushes, perhaps a new gear or two in the gearbox, replace half the gearshift mechanism, and perhaps some of the kickstart ratchet components. Rebuild of the primary and original clutch.......New chain, tensioner blade, ESA springs, seals in the primary cover and bushes/seal in the chainwheel............repair the clutch shoes, worn pivot bores, and plunger bores.......!!!....... New pivot pins and toggle links, carrier bush, new friction plate, springs, etc................It goes on and on............New oil feed/return lines and fittings as all the originals are all mangled and bent per usual..........Plus carry out any sensible upgrades to stop oil leaks and/or other improvements to aim for a reliable and reasonably oil tight engine.............. Oh , and don't forget all the accessories, overhaul the carby's, magneto, generator.............all done to as close to original as you can.............Ok you can fit new 289's, plus and Alton, and a new BTH or similar............Just to make life a bit easier for you. Don't forget too that the cases will almost certainly need some machining repairs as well........... So Ok lets all have a good guess at how long this should take if you were doing this full time.............:)..............Good luck.