Saddle springs series A

Andy B

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If I was to get some springs made up for the series A single seat, would there be much interest? I have an original set which is very rusty and pitted, I envisage they will cost around $80 dollars Australian plus postage, depends on how many he makes? Let me know I'm happy to get one pair.

vibrac

VOC Member
Open up your market by quoting size of springs I am sure there are a lot of sagging saddles out there and not all vincents

oexing

VOC Member
I do not think it is a worthwhile exercise. These springs appear to be very "standard", at least I would not care about the last fraction of an inch in sizes and get some sort from Armours or so, look into their shop below. You can set saddle height easily by fabricating the distance piece at the bottom of the spring to your liking anyway. I am going to have single rubber seats on the B-Rapides like prewar but would not care about spring exactness in sizes,

Vic
Armours springs

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Only problem with the Armours saddle springs is they are all wound the same direction.
On series A saddles one spring is wound clockwise and the other spring counter clockwise to stop the seat trying to move sideways when it moves up and down.

vibrac

VOC Member
hence my reference to sagging above I am sure the opposite wound would stir more than Vincent backsides myself I have same wound Triumph Scott & vellocette seats that would benifit (and I would not care if op wound was not standard or if length needed accomodating) and perhaps with a larger batch the cost would be viable for normal machines and get towards Armours costs ( around £16 a pair)

oexing

VOC Member
I wonder how other bikers manage to keep their lines on the road with these single type springs ?? I have one sort of springs on the 600 cc Horex and never observed any pecularities and the other Horex has only ONE spring - so how do I cope with that ?? You cannot possibly compensate torsion with one spring only , can you ?
I´d say do something about your knackered saddle pivot and springs will not matter the least. That will provide a much better feel in the saddle than any fancy spring design when the root cause is a sloppy pivot - that remains even with better springs.

Vic
DSC00066.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Vic
Its nothing to do with worn pivots etc. Vincent fitted counter wound springs when new to their series A saddles so if Andy wants to be original, which most series A owners usually want to be now days, then that's what he is aiming to get made.

Dinny

VOC Member
Maybe contact Kieth Lucas as he might have some left over from his seat making days? I got my complete seat frame and springs from him but I don’t think he makes them now but could be wrong.

Mark

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
THESE are counter wound, although they appear to be tapered ( might just be a dodgy picture). Should ours be parallel?