Saddle Springs - Series A (and other pre-war bikes)

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Armour's only lists Bantam contra-wound springs, you'd think the issue would be common to all such saddles.
Might be an idea to check with them about stock, I went there a month or so ago and they told me they are only doing exhausts now, You might be lucky, Just ask. Cheers Bill.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Andy, that's great to know that PEI had the sense to use contra-wound ones. Even better if you are getting them made! Hope to hear soon that your backside is in gear - and mounted on larger wire-diameter contra-wound springs!

Peter B
I will post a picture tomorrow.

Dinny

VOC Member
This is the kit I got from Kieth

Mark

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_0117_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0117_1024.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 54

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I guess I'm out of luck with this Lycett seat that my dad had in the garage for decades.

LycettSprings.JPG

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Original springs fitted to the Terry's seat on my A.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 38

Dinny

VOC Member
These kits are still available online, I recently purchased one for a flat tracker I'm doing.

My understanding is the ones available are a different size to the Vincent saddles and Keith was the only person making direct copies of the originals.

A_HRD

VOC Member
While we're on the subject of pre-war saddle springs, is there a suitable (black) paint out there that will stay on the springs for a while without the flexure causing it to flake off? After all, many saddle springs are chrome plated, so if that can survive, surely there's some (black) paint that is suitable for the purpose?

Peter B

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The springs on my A saddle came from Keith Lucas already painted. I don't know what paint he used but its survived the last 7 years of use without flaking off or cracking.

Simon