Saddle Springs - Series A (and other pre-war bikes)

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
While we're on the subject of pre-war saddle springs, is there a suitable (black) paint out there that will stay on the springs for a while without the flexure causing it to flake off? After all, many saddle springs are chrome plated, so if that can survive, surely there's some (black) paint that is suitable for the purpose?

Peter B
Powder coat has worked for 15 years on mine

timetraveller

VOC Member
The springs have now been ordered and will be black gloss powder coated. I did offer to get them made from stainless steel which would have got round any plating or painting problems but I was told that the originals were black and their replacements must be the same. I did look into getting them chemically blacked but it seems that that process does not prevent corrosion long term.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Yes, for those (disappointingly few) who the ordered springs, you should have them in your hands this month.

Given that powder-coating can be quite thick, we have ensured that, during manufacture, the fixing holes will be very slightly oversize to ensure that you don't need to start filing away paint (causing potential rust-spots).

Peter B

A_HRD

VOC Member
I am pleased to announce that the new contra-wound Series 'A' Saddle Springs have arrived and I am delighted with their quality - both the forming and the powder coating.

Those who previously indicated that they would be interested in purchasing some by sending me a "PM/Conversation" should find I have already responded to them, via the same medium, so check your Forum 'Inbox' (three from the right in the black background bit at the top of the page).

There will likely be a few sets left over (I ordered extra to counteract lethargy!), so if you find that you really would like some - NOW is the time....! (I will need your contact/postal details - best sent via a "conversation":- hover over my Vulcan avatar and take it from there...).

Peter B