Saddle Springs - Series A (and other pre-war bikes)

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes Eddy, that seems to be the way of things when reproducing springs for the restoration market. I'm led to believe that these Armours ones are all made in India (but presumably to Armours specs). However, none of them are even close to correct for a Series A...

Peter B

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
While we're on the subject of pre-war saddle springs, is there a suitable (black) paint out there that will stay on the springs for a while without the flexure causing it to flake off? After all, many saddle springs are chrome plated, so if that can survive, surely there's some (black) paint that is suitable for the purpose?

Peter B
I always powdercoat my springs for seats and girder front forks.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am not sure if this helps anybody, but Brookes pedal cycle saddle manufacturers of some note produce and sell as spare parts left and right handed saddle springs, whether they are large enough or suitable for motorcycle use I have no idea, but they can be seen on their website.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Following various discussions over the last few months about the contra-wound Series A Saddle Springs, I can now confirm that I am poised to press the "Go Button" on getting a batch made in the UK.

They will likely be "piano-wire", one-size-up from standard wire diameter. They will also be powder-coated black (at a different facility) - so ready to fit. The cost will depend on the quantity ordered of course; but I am hoping that it will be around £30-£35 (plus post) per pair (i.e a bike set) - depending on numbers purchased. So now I am looking for some commitment from potential purchasers - so that I can settle on a batch size.

I will need your email address so that I can keep you up to speed with progress. To keep your details safe, please hover your mouse over my Vulcan avatar and select "Start a Conversation"; your details will only be seen by me - not the rest of the world!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank 'TimeTraveller' publicly for his considerable help and sound advice on this project.

Peter B

greg brillus

VOC Member
Just as a point of interest, Some time ago, not that long, I bought a set of the early saddle springs from Paul Houghton who runs a spares outlet for Rudge motorcycles. His website shows a large range of parts and some may not know that Rudge also used Miller lighting gear so he carries some fabulous reproduction parts that will certainly be correct for our pre-war machines. These springs seem correct to me and are counter wound to one another, they are listed at 35 pounds for a pair. If anyone looks up his website you will be quite surprised at what he has and the quality is excellent. Miller diplite switches, early Lucas type horn buttons with the knurled button, Miller 35 E type tailights, etc..........Definitely worth a look...........

timetraveller

VOC Member
As the person involved in sourcing these springs and getting them powder coated I can assure readers that we could beat that price for a pair of black gloss powder coated springs. Just have to get you to decide how many you would like so let ABCD know your requirements.