Running in Questions Series D

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well you have now. The D doesn't have an oil tank in the UFM. The tank is on the right rear as you sit on the bike hence the pipe routing is different and they don't have the shut off thingy that I think the earlier series had
Regards Mac

Ooops! I haven't progressed beyond the Series C.

I'll probably get it wrong again, but can you tilt the saddle frame forward and make the tank drain higher than the oil level?

Last edited:

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi
No problem. I'm sure that won't work either. If you go to photos misc 2010 series D and look at pics by Macvette, you can see the oil tank with it's main feed coming from the bottom of the tank. I've tried to attach a pic but if it doesn't work you can look at the above location. I'm going to drop the oil after another 50 miles or so anyway so I can replace the fibre washers on the tank end of the main feed with dowty seals because there is a slight weep there.

Regards Mac

Attachments

• vincent rebuild 016.jpg
    vincent rebuild 016.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 51

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I realize you have the bike in front of you and I am just looking at pictures, but the drawing on page 122 of Vincent the Complete Story by Davis Wright shows an enclosed model's tail section in the propped position. The hose connection to the tank looks as if it might be above the oil level and could be disconnected down at the motor and not drain the tank. All moot, though, since you want to replace the A27's.

b'knighted

VOC Member
My enclosed oil tank has its banjo unions at the bottom but connected to them are copper pipes that follow the bottom/front of the tank before pointing forward in the region of the cowl pivot. Here they have a rubber pipe fitted to allow movement and to connect to C style rigid tubes to the main feed and return banjos. They do not have to be disturbed to remove the kickstart cover, although the exhaust does. Even if they were not so well (thanks Mac) routed down the space between timing chest and kickstart cover I would not expect to need to remove them to adjust the gear change. Surely the bike was designed so that such things could be done by the roadside?
Cheers,

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
If I were you I'd stay on SAE 30. Even in summer a Vin doesn't get that hot, and I've lagged my UFM with radiator foil which is the only way to stop emulsification. (My nomination for "The Chocolate Fireguard Award": an oil cooler on a Vincent.)
Apropos running in, you've already had very good advice: don't thrash it and don't slog it. That probably means keeping it between 2000 and 3000 rpm. Bear in mind that in the 1950's "finish machining" was done by the customer over the first 1500 miles, hence the lengthy running-in periods. 1500 miles at gentle speeds also ate into the warranty time: not an issue for Vincent probably, but certainly elsewhere.
Just to put the other side of the equation: race bikes, from brand new, are run in at not more than 6000 rpm for often as many as 15 miles. TZ Yamahas were run-in for the length of the paddock... Then it's "the hammer"...
Thanks for the quick replies. I asked about the oil change because I'll need to drain the oil to adjust the gear change. The oil I'm using is Chatsworth 30 Classic, it's a straight, detegent oil. It's 30 because I first ran the bikle for it's MOT test in late Sept hoping to get some miles on it but the snows came so I couldn't. I'm in N Yorks so we have nice winding roads with hills where you can maintain 50mph uphill down dale but excercise the bike at the same time. Going uphill, I change down to maintain the revs at what sounds like 50 mph in top on the flat, going downhill, I let the bike go into over run to again maintain the revs at what sounds like 50mph on the flat. I know my speedo is accurate because my mate flew wingman on his 800 Gilera scooter with digital speedo.
I have run in loads of old cars (see avatar) and know that labouring an engine is the worst you can do. It's just that 50 mph on the flat felt instinctively a bit slow.
I'll be going through a nut and bolt tightness check before I go out again, having lost the nut from the drive side of the centre stand pivot, now replaced and locked by split pin. Forgot to ask, do you theink adjusting the battery carrier nuts will have any effect? The change is not stiff.
What are you guys doing in Germany?
Thanks Mac

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
the only thing you are "running in" is the pistons + rings. the rest is all rolling element bearings, these do not run in they only run out! the don't slog it but don't over speed it approach is my reccomendation. lots of charges from 50-75 mph will be better than a constant(and boring) 50, also a shed load more fun! an oil change at about 500 miles -if you make this in a season would be a good idea.

Tony Cording

VOC Member
Macvette, nice looking D, could you e mail me direct that and any other pics of your D to tonydreview@hotmail.com. Also, I have implemented your suggestd open D conduit fix for the seat attachment,. Works like a hot damn. many thanks for the tip.

Tony

macvette

Non-VOC Member
the only thing you are "running in" is the pistons + rings. the rest is all rolling element bearings, these do not run in they only run out! the don't slog it but don't over speed it approach is my reccomendation. lots of charges from 50-75 mph will be better than a constant(and boring) 50, also a shed load more fun! an oil change at about 500 miles -if you make this in a season would be a good idea.

Thanks for all of the replies, I'll take this piece of advice, I've been varying the speeds like this after the first hundred miles although only up 65 or so, the engine feels much happier this way. I also lifted the needles one notch and the pipe colour is much reduced. I'll try adjusting the pilots next.
I'd still like some hands on tips on adjusting the selector in addition to what's in the books if there is any out there.
As far as the oil pipe routing goes, I had to replace the original engine - end pipes because they were beyond reclaiming but I still have them. I replaced them with parts from the VOC. The originals have at least 3 or 4 subtle bends in them which allowed them to be routed much more neatly close to the timing cover and it maybe that the kick start cover could have been removed if they were still there. The new pipes were a poor fit and I had to bend them significantly to get them to fit even as you see them now. In fact the engine side feed pipe pointed directly into the centre of the battery before I bent it so it wasn't even possible to route the rubber portion sensibly so I will have to remove them to adjust the gear change but that's not a problem.
Regard Mac

macvette

Non-VOC Member
250 miles on the bike now and changed the oil. Going for runs not less than 30 miles and varying speed in the appropriate gears 55 to 60 on the flat in top on a light throttle seems to suit the engine nicely. No oil leaks. Gear change issue seems to have been a mixture of footpeg/ gear lever position/technique so I haven't been inside the kickstart cover. Managed to shed the rear number plate and light, must have been the only bolts I hadn't tightness tested! Fortunately my mate picked it up ( I had no idea it had gone). I'm going to do a little tweaking on the carbs after my next run having drilled and tapped for vacuum gauge connections when I rebuilt the bike. Should be interesting.
Regards Mac