Running in - Overheating?

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi to all, somewhere above or below I have posted a thread about running in, I have noticed people mentioning that they "noticed the bike overheating" I have a couple of questions due to the fact that, as far as I know, I haven't had a bike overheat before (except for modern bikes with temp guage).

1.What are the earliest noticeable symptoms of overheating (so I can stop, hopefully before damage is done)

2. Has anyone ever measured engine temperature on a Vincent, if so where did you take the reading and what range is considered normal?

I have just purchased a non contact Infra red temp guage and hope to gather some info so that I might be able to develop an accurate temp guage for the Comet.

Regards
Kevin

b'knighted

VOC Member
Vinny Long Legs was fitted with a temperature guage and two switchable sensors. My recollection of an ancient article in MPH was that they were Austin Mini type water temperature sensors clamped to the fins with a transistor heat sink paste and that the rear cylinder ran cooler than the front.

Phil Primmer was concerned about overheating when he fitted a huge dustbin fairing to his twin outfit and sourced an analogue microlight CHT gauge with two needles pointed at each other, maybe even crossed. I believe this is now fitted to the Shadow which now wears that fairing. He then sourced a single gauge for his trike. A digital single gauge is available on UK ebay and gives a good description of how they work and are fitted.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYLINDER-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2320edaa33
Seems like it might be a good idea if there is a risk of weak running due to high altitude touring.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi to all, somewhere above or below I have posted a thread about running in, I have noticed people mentioning that they "noticed the bike overheating" I have a couple of questions due to the fact that, as far as I know, I haven't had a bike overheat before (except for modern bikes with temp guage).

1.What are the earliest noticeable symptoms of overheating (so I can stop, hopefully before damage is done)

2. Has anyone ever measured engine temperature on a Vincent, if so where did you take the reading and what range is considered normal?

I have just purchased a non contact Infra red temp guage and hope to gather some info so that I might be able to develop an accurate temp guage for the Comet.

Regards
Kevin

ANY response is good guys, I am just collecting info from peoples personal experience to try and come up with a definitive method of early identification and then hopefully prevention of overheating, all and any results I come up with will be shared
....so throw in your two bobs worth.

Kevin

Albervin

VOC Member
My biggest issue when I bought my first Comet all those years ago was NOT revving the bike enough. I thought I had a big British single and it would lope along at 500 rpm up hill and down dale. Wrong. I heard the sounds of pinking when going up a very long hill and probably partially seized the poor thing. I then learned you need to keep the revs up and after 35 years it still does the job. If you are on more than half throttle you probably should change down. Never even think of going up a hill on a Comet in top. Unless you have a very big rear sprocket, a Comet always should be in 3rd for climbing.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, Never had any problems with over heating, even stuck in traffic in Barcelona with the temperature in the high 30.
Recently fitted a temporary thermocouple to the heads close as possible to the exhaust port on the Rapide. whilest working hard climbing good hills ( no shortage in this part of Scotland) never exceeded 180c. Another local Vincent owner with a more professional set up does see temperatures in excess of this.
Having researched head temperatures on air cool engines, the only info looks to indicate 200c as a safe max. This on an aircraft engine. Regards John.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hello, Never had any problems with over heating, even stuck in traffic in Barcelona with the temperature in the high 30.
Recently fitted a temporary thermocouple to the heads close as possible to the exhaust port on the Rapide. whilest working hard climbing good hills ( no shortage in this part of Scotland) never exceeded 180c. Another local Vincent owner with a more professional set up does see temperatures in excess of this.
Having researched head temperatures on air cool engines, the only info looks to indicate 200c as a safe max. This on an aircraft engine. Regards John.

Thanks John, this is the sort of info I am after....personal experience is better than charts and books!!
Thanks mate.

Kevin